5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2008 11:10 AM by Newsgroup_User

Sound Issues

rex@karinrex.com Level 1
      When I record and then play a module using the PC speakers, it sounds great regardless of volume level. When I record and then play a module wearing headphones, there is a low buzzing noise (electrical hum) in the background the entire time (regardless of which headphones I use or what volume level I have set). Any ideas on how to solve this (as I do not know whether my users will be using headphones or not).

Thanks in advance,
        • 1. Re: Sound Issues
          Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Hi Karin

Have you confirmed it's the Captivate project? What I mean is to ask if you have tried running the captivate project on different machines and using different headphones. I'm asking because I could fathom the possibility that it's simply an issue with one PC and the headphones.

Cheers... Rick
          • 2. Re: Sound Issues
            rex@karinrex.com Level 1
            Thanks, Rick. I've confirmed that it's not my headphones and not just on that particular PC. It's a very bad buzz...I cannot publish it sounding like this. :-(

Any other ideas?
            • 3. Re: Sound Issues
              Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              Hi Karin

Hmmm, the only thing that comes to mind is to try recording using a different application such as Audacity. See if it records sans the hum. Then import the files into Captivate.

If that seems to work without issue, consider reporting to Adobe as a bug.

Click here to view the WishForm/Bug Reporting Form

Cheers... Rick
              • 4. Re: Sound Issues
                rex@karinrex.com Level 1
                OK, Rick. I have Adobe Soundbooth so I will try that.
                • 5. Re: Sound Issues
                  Level 7
                  > When I record and then play a module using the PC speakers, it sounds
                  > great
                  > regardless of volume level. When I record and then play a module wearing
                  > headphones, there is a low buzzing noise (electrical hum) in the
                  > background the
                  > entire time (regardless of which headphones I use or what volume level I
                  > have
                  > set). Any ideas on how to solve this (as I do not know whether my users
                  > will be
                  > using headphones or not).

PC speakers are awful. Headphones typically give more complete sound
                  reproduction. So you are hearing what I'd expect you to hear.

I worked with sound files recently that a colleague recorded. They sounded
                  fine to her, but hideous through my headphones. Dropping the files into both
                  Audacity and Soundbooth showed that the buzzing was all in her recordings.
                  We worked a little to reduce the noise in her recordings, but ultimately I
                  still had to reduce the noise and normalise the sound with software before
                  it was usable.

Steve

--
                  http://twitter.com/Stevehoward999

Adobe Community Expert: eLearning, Mobile and Devices
                  European eLearning Summit - EeLS
                  Adobe-sponsored eLearning conference.
                  http://www.elearningsummit.eu