Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to achieve rough text look?

Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

I am wondering how to achieve this rough kinda lofi look with text. I have tried numerous google tutorials though they generally don't end up looking very 'natural' and 'real'. Also is there a way to make the background have a similar effect?

Thanks in advance,

Oli

Untitled-2.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

You need to put the rough paper texture layer above the text layer and blend it and sent the  blending mode to a suitable looking mode(multiply or overlay) so that you can see the roughness of paper on the text.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This text looks like it's been scanned and not very crisp. I would start by typing the text. Convert it to a Smart Object layer. (Target the layer and choose Filter > Convert for Smart Filters.) Then choose Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur, with a radius around 0.5 pixels. Since the text is not a true deep black, you could then lower the layer opacity a little. The top  word "Final" is the one I added; the bottom one is from your screen capture.

For the background, which looks like a dirty scan, you could create a new layer and fill it with a dark gray color. Then choose Filter > Noise > Add Noise, about 2.5% should do it.

Then choose Filter > Filter Gallery. Under the Sketch category, apply Photocopy. The background will turn white with speckles of dark gray.

If you want a dark background, choose Image > Adjustments > Invert.

If you want to make the texture less even, one way would be to add a layer mask by clicking the layer mask icon at the bottom of the Layers panel. Change your foreground/background colors to black and white. With the layer mask active choose Filter > Render > Clouds. You can also paint in the layer mask to customize it.

You may need to play with the various filter settings a bit to get the amount of noise you want for the background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To this, I would like to add, use a rough paper texture stock image to get the worn out look even more nicely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How would I apply this to the text?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I agree to that. I think it would add a more realistic look than could be achieved with filters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for both of your help. Looking great now!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply! This did help get closer to the look I want to achieve thought I feel like there is still something missing. Open to more advice if anyone can help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to put the rough paper texture layer above the text layer and blend it and sent the  blending mode to a suitable looking mode(multiply or overlay) so that you can see the roughness of paper on the text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy to help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2017 May 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One method to roughen/randomize text’s edges is using a noisy/cloudy monochrome Layer set to Blend Mode Hard Mix over the blurred text.

toughTextHardMixScr.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://www.photoshopessentials.com/photoshop-text/text-effects/worn-torn-text/

This tutorial uses the spatter filter on a layer mask of your text and works a treat!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines