• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photos still "loading," even after creating standard size previews...???

New Here ,
May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the past, when working on a batch of photos, I used to be able to create the standard size previews so that when I browsed through them in the Library module to do my culling (choosing favorites), there would be zero load time. As long as the standard size previews were created, this was always the case -- no load time at all. Scrolling through photos was quick and seamless.

As of a few days ago, I made some changes to my PC. I have multiple local drives on my PC. One of them is a small SSD, which used to contain my operating system, as well as my Adobe programs. The drive became full, so I added another SSD to the PC. Once I added that new SSD, I decided to move my catalog over to the new SSD so that I wasn't eating up space on the previous, smaller SSD.

So now I have Lightroom installed on my C drive, while the catalog lives on my L drive. Photos are then stored on another local drive, M (same place the photos have always been stored, even before the catalog move).

Since I've made this change to the catalog location, I have noticed that even if I create the standard size previews for a batch of photos, I am still experiencing the "loading" dialog when scrolling through. The only thing I can imagine is that it has something to do with moving the catalog...but I'm not sure. Other than that, I'm doing everything exactly the same as before.

I've even tried uninstalling Lightroom, and then reinstalling. Same location, on the C drive.

Any thoughts??

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you also move the Previews folder (i.e. Lightroom Catalog Previews.lrdata) which sits next to the catalog?

This needs to sit next to the catalog. Otherwise LR will create new ones.

However, this would only affect old imports.

What is your OS and exact version of Lightroom?

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2017 May 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also check your Catalog Settings [Ctrl+Alt+, ]

Here on the 'File Handling' tab you can set a fixed size for Standard previews, or set it to Auto.

If you have a fixed size set and your screen is larger, then I believe Lr will need to make the preview bigger (Loading) every time you view it larger on screen.

So try changing options here-

ScreenShot280.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to have worked! Thank you.

I never used to keep that on "auto" and it seemed to work fine. I wonder if my graphics settings changed during the PC makeover. My buddy helping out with a few things may have changed a few things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I take it back....I'm now working on a larger folder of images and it's still popping up the "loading" dialog when scrolling through. Its only for a second or so, but the photo isn't 100% sharp until the loading is done. Again, something that I never ran into in the past.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did indeed move the preview folder.

Lightroom CC -- 2015.10 Release (should be the latest)

Windows 10 - 64 Bit

16GB RAM

Intel Core i7-3770k

Hard drive setup (all local drives -- NOT external):

SSD 1 -- Contains OS and Lightroom program files

SSD 2 -- Contains Lightroom catalog (and previews)

HDD -- Contains photos (files) that are being worked on in Lightroom

The only difference from this new hard drive set up is that Lightroom itself, and the catalog, are on different SSDs. I've always worked with the photos on the HDD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You will find some good info at- https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-performance-previews-caches/

and Victoria Bampton's E-book- https://www.lightroomqueen.com/performance/

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines