27 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2018 5:29 PM by carrier62077086

'Paste' doesn't work

명현유46329220 Level 1

I can't copy & paste any item or artboard on my XD, because just 'paste(CTRL+V)' menu isn't active.

I'm not sure whether this problem comes from XD itself, or OS(windows10 Enterprise 1607 64bit).

While 'copy' works properly, 'paste' always stays in gray color.

How can I solve this problem? I actually re-installed XD three times.

I'm very sorry that I have to post this sort of silly question.

• 1. Re: 'Paste' doesn't work
          rpandita Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi 명현유46329220 ,

From where are you copying data, and what data it is.

Is it an image or a text ?

~Rohit

• 2. Re: 'Paste' doesn't work
            명현유46329220 Level 1

Any selected item (text, image, even artboard) in XD!

Simply speaking, paste menu is not activated at all.

I didn't see a single case that the 'paste' change to black, even when(after) I selected an item by clicking CTRL+C(X) or 'Copy' menu.

Thanks for your consideration!

• 3. Re: 'Paste' doesn't work
              rpandita Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi 명현유46329220 ,

I am able to copy and paste properly on my Machine running Windows 10.

Do you have any external device connected ?

Are you using a Wacom ?

~Rohit

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: 'Paste' doesn't work
                Peter Flynn (Adobe) Adobe Employee

If you copy plain text from another app and then paste in XD, does it paste the text successfully?

• 5. Re: 'Paste' doesn't work

Also -- can you let us know if you have any firewall, anti-virus, or other security software installed?

• 6. Re: 'Paste' doesn't work
                    명현유46329220 Level 1

I don't use any external device. Wacom either.

I can't paste plain text from another app because of the same problem ('paste menu not active').

I use Korean anti-virus solution V3. There must be a firewall in my computer (company manages), I don't know exact name of it.

Anyway thanks for your help.

• 7. Re: 'Paste' doesn't work

Can you try disabling your anti-virus app for a minute and see if pasting works then?  Sometimes security software can interfere with other apps in weird ways, so it'd be good for us to know about this.

One other thing...  Adobe XD uses a very new Windows technology called UWP, which sometimes behaves a little funny compared to traditional Windows apps.  I am curious if perhaps all UWP apps on your computer have this problem.  Most apps you install from the Windows Store fall into this category, as well as some built-in apps that come bundled with Windows 10, such as the 3D Builder app or the Calculator app or Sticky Notes.  Can you try launching one of those apps and see if pasting text works correctly there?

• 8. Re: 'Paste' doesn't work
                        gr8idea Level 1

명현유46329220 Did you fix it? I have same problem. Does anyone know why?

• 9. Re: 'Paste' doesn't work
                          gr8idea Level 1

Hi,

I have same problem with this user. I've tried all the way that you've mentioned but, couldn't fix an errors.

Could you please check this problems for me and let me know how can I fix this.

It's so hard to use XD without 'ctrl+v' function.

• 10. Re: 'Paste' doesn't work
                            cmgap Adobe Community Professional

Can't recreate the problem on a macbook pro. Have you completely powered down your pc and restarted?

• 11. Re: 'Paste' doesn't work
                              gr8idea Level 1

Thanks for the reply.

I think this problem has only occured in window 10 os. I've completely shut down my pc several times and also re-install the XD several times too.

• 12. Re: 'Paste' doesn't work
                                Preran Adobe Employee

To all those that are facing this issue, send me your Adobe ID, location, and phone number over a private message along with a link to this forum post. To send a private message, click my picture and use the Message button. We will get in touch with you for investigation.

Thanks,

Preran

• 13. Re: 'Paste' doesn't work
                                  RuudvanBergen Level 1

Same problem..... restarting Adobe XD did not fix anything.

• 14. Re: 'Paste' doesn't work
                                    maxp81114405 Level 1

I am having the exact same issue on Mac Os 10.13.3

• 15. Re: 'Paste' doesn't work
                                      Colin Holgate MVP & Adobe Community Professional

What object is on the clipboard at the time? If you press either Enter or Escape, does the menu become available?

2 people found this helpful
                                      • 16. Re: 'Paste' doesn't work
                                        semirahd Level 1

I'm on a windows laptop and I'm also having issues with my copy and paste. It let me do it once but then after that I can no longer copy and paste to my artboards.

• 17. Re: 'Paste' doesn't work
                                          giannat21210131 Level 1

Having the same problem. Reset my machine, so all-new Windows 10 is installed (W10 Home, Version 1709, OS Build 16299.431). Also have latest Adobe Acrobat Pro DC through Adobe CC.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!!

• 18. Re: 'Paste' doesn't work
                                            CagatayOzgur Level 1

This started happening to me a lot lately. I do not have multiple language keyboards.

Everything would be fine, I am working on XD, no issues and all of a sudden CTRL+C / CTRL+V will cease functioning. Sometimes right click Copy & Paste works, but 90% of the time that doesn't work either. Switching to a different program doesn't help. Meanwhile whatever is in my clipboard is there. I can paste into Photoshop, Illustrator, any other program - except XD.

I noticed that sometimes - sometimes - CTRL+S is gone too. As if the shortcuts are gone. But when that happens mouse right click actions keep functioning. So with this weird case I believe the culprit is clipboard access.

Windows Defender is the only AV I have.

Another behavior I noticed is that XD interface will act like I am in Prototype mode: hovering over elements would highlight them just like when I am in Prototype Mode; with the exception of the action handles - the little things that you use to create links are not visible. When this happens the entire GUI stops working properly. I cannot draw new elements, cannot update any elements, nothing functions properly. Switching to Prototype Mode and back doesn't fix anything. The only solution is to relaunch XD.

Same with CTRL+C/V issue. The only fix is to relaunch XD.

It wasn't that prominent before, but lately it's happening a lot. Couldn't find a pattern yet.

• 19. Re: 'Paste' doesn't work
                                              carrier62077086 Level 1

Has there been any resolution to this? I'm on a Windows 10 Surface Book 1, also experiencing this issue. I have to close and re-open XD for the paste feature to work again. But then the issue reoccurs.

• 20. Re: 'Paste' doesn't work
                                                caroliner39906458 Level 1

I'm running into this problem too. It seems like I cant copy anything in XD.  CTRL+C or through the right-click menu.  If I press CTRL+ V or right click and paste doesn't work. Tried restarting. Tried reinstalling XD. If I copy something in this page I can copy it into XD but I tried copying a graphic from AI into XD and that does not work.

Windows 10 PC. I only use Windows Defender.

• 21. Re: 'Paste' doesn't work
                                                  letitiacf Adobe Employee

Hi caroliner39906458

Sorry to hear you're experiencing issues with XD.  Please help us better understand what is happening in your case by answering the following questions:

1.  Can you copy something from XD and paste it back in XD?

2.  Can you copy a text from Ai and paste it into XD?

3.  Can you upload the Ai file with the graphic that fails to be pasted into XD?

FYI: We now have a limitation on Windows that paste for graphics larger that 10 MB is not working and this will be fixed in XD 11.0.

4. Can you give us more details about your system? Start -> Settings -> System -> About. For instance, on one machine, I am running Win10 Enterprise version 1709 , build 16299.371.

5. What System  are using? I'm testing on a Lenovo ThinkPad P40 Yoga for example.

It would also help us investigate further if we had more logs.

You can use the Adobe log collector tool, available here: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-log-collector.html.  After this tool runs, you'll see a zip file on the desktop that you can attach to send me an email.

Thank you,

Letitia Antohe

• 22. Re: 'Paste' doesn't work
                                                    letitiacf Adobe Employee

Hi carrier62077086

Sorry to hear you're experiencing issues with XD. Please let us know the following so we can investigate further:

1. Can you please perform a simple test with another UWP application like Paint 3D? Does copy and paste works in Paint 3D when the issue starts occurring in XD?
                                                    2. Can you give us more details about your system? Start -> Settings -> System -> About. For instance, on one machine, i am running Win10 Enterprise version 1709 , build 16299.371.
                                                    3. What System  are using? I'm testing on a Lenovo ThinkPad P40 Yoga for example.

You can use the Adobe log collector tool, available here: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-log-collector.html.  After this tool runs, you'll see a zip file on the desktop that you can attach to send me an email.

Thank you,

Letitia Antohe

• 23. Re: 'Paste' doesn't work
                                                      letitiacf Adobe Employee

Hi CagatayOzgur,

Sorry to hear things are not working smooth for you.

It would help us if you can answer the questions below so we can investigate further:

1. Can you please perform a simple test with another UWP application like Paint 3D? Does copy and paste works in Paint 3D when the issue starts occurring in XD?
                                                      2. You mentioned things are happening more often now - could it be  after an XD update or after an Windows update?
                                                      3. Can you give us more details about your system? Start -> Settings -> System -> About. For instance, on one machine, i am running Win10 Enterprise version 1709 , build 16299.371.
                                                      4. What System  are using? I'm testing on a Lenovo ThinkPad P40 Yoga for example.

For deeper investigation we would need more logs.

You can use the Adobe log collector tool, available here: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-log-collector.html to collect them.  After this tool runs, you'll see a zip file on the desktop that you can attach to send me an email.

Thank you,

Letitia Antohe

• 24. Re: 'Paste' doesn't work
                                                        cmgap Adobe Community Professional

I am running Sierra and not having any issues with copying and pasting with the most recent version of XD. The most current version of High Sierra is 10.13.5... maybe updating to this version will solve the problem on a mac?

• 25. Re: 'Paste' doesn't work
                                                          caroliner39906458 Level 1

The next day suddenly everything worked like usual again.

Anyways gonna answer your questions.

1.  I can not copy or paste anything in XD (no graphics, no artboard, no text)

2.  I'm not sure about text. I copied text from my web browser into XD successfully. I cant test this because the error like I said suddenly was resolved.

3.  The same graphic I wasn't able to copy from AI I was able to copy into XD the next day. It was just a simple Icon downloaded from freepik as svg and opened in AI.

4. I have a Gigabyte P34 With Windows 10 Home Version:1803 OS build: 17134.112 64 Bit operating system and Intel Core i7 7thgen.

I also use the creative cloud and always keep all programs updated to their latest versions.

• 26. Re: 'Paste' doesn't work
                                                            letitiacf Adobe Employee

Hi caroliner39906458,

Glad to hear you're not facing this issue anymore and thank you for taking the time to answer the questions.

As the issue is no longer reproducing it's hard to understand what happened. It might help to look over the logs - so, if it's not too much trouble, please collect the logs using the following tool: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-log-collector.html  and upload the file to CC, Dropbox, or Google drive and share the link over a private message. To send a private message, click my picture and use the Message button.

If you stumble over the issue once more, although I hope this will not happen, please try the copy-paste actions in another UWP application like Paint 3D and let me know the result.

Thank you,

Letitia Antohe

2 people found this helpful
                                                            • 27. Re: 'Paste' doesn't work
                                                              carrier62077086 Level 1

Yes, copy and paste work in other applications when the issues starts occurring in XD. I tried successfully with Paint 3D and Adobe Illustrator.

1. Can you give us more details about your system? Start -> Settings -> System -> About. For instance, on one machine, i am running Win10 Enterprise version 1709 , build 16299.371.

Edition: Windows 10 Pro

Version: 1803

OS build: 17134.112

1. What System  are using? I'm testing on a Lenovo ThinkPad P40 Yoga for example.

Surface Book Intel Core i5 -6300U @ 2.40GHz 2.50GHz

Will send logs now.