0 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2008 4:19 PM by tcorbet

Can Someone Open the Black Box

tcorbet Level 1
      01. I think I understand RSL usage for the Flex framework and I think I like the fact that its implementation, for all practical purposes, remains a Black Box. I can't see inside, but don't need to since it just works as described in the many Googleable postings available.

02. Now, however, we migrate to AIR and I challenge you to find a solid description of the expected behavior in the AIR environment. [Yes, there is one jira entry, in which some developer, acknowledging an error in the air-config file adds the cryptic comment -- "We don't expect most AIR apps to use these RSLs.".

03. Now someone needs to open that black box so we can determine how to properly take advantage of the client-side cache for AIR applications. For that matter, it would be nice to see concise information concerning the use of Modules in AIR applications, but I will be so happy if I can just get the framework modules to work properly.

04. Here is observed behavior from outside the Black Box.

A. Write/test/deploy a Flex Application compiled for use of dynamic framework RSLs. Put the framework.swz file where the webserver needs it to be -- and add the framework.swc version just for the heck of it.
      B. It works beautifully, and you can go look in the client-side cache to see that the files were downloaded when required -- just as advertized.
      C. Write/test/deploy an AIR Application that uses SWFLoader to launch on-demand exactly the same Application.swf file that was run above.
      D. It is much harder to trace, but the fact that the Module runs correctly inside AIR is proof that AIR knew how to check the client-side cache to resolve the links to the framework code, just perfectly. But, if you are a doubting Tomas, rerun this AIR test after you delete the framework.swz file from the the client-side cache and wait for your #2032 error -- it will pop up pretty quickly.

So, other than by asking the client to run a Flex application in order to force-download the required framework, what is the design pattern, best-practice or other direction concerning the correct way for a pure AIR application to take advantage of client-side caching of the ever-expanding framework codebase?