4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2008 2:15 PM by mikem75

This is driving me nuts

mikem75 Level 1
      OK, I've had this error before - "Unable to load movie playlist. Does the .ini file exist? ...... etc". The research I've done indicates its due to a long file name issue. In this case, I have an executable on the root of a flash drive. The filename is 10 characters and the flashdrive name is 11 characters. Surely 10 characters for a filename is not excessive - no spaces, no funny characters etc.

Love to know if anyone has solved this issue???

I'm authoring on Director 11, on Windows Vista Ultimate. I'm creating both a mac and a pc executable on the same flash drive. The mac version runs perfectly fine. The PC one was working fine as well until just a while ago.
        • 1. Re: This is driving me nuts
          Level 7
          > The PC one was working fine as well until just a while ago.

So what was it you did "just a while ago"?
          • 2. Re: This is driving me nuts
            mikem75 Level 1
            I've been moving the stick around to different computers to test. So, I've authored on Vista Ultimate with Director 11. Seems to play back fine on Mac OS 10.4, 10.5 and Vista. However when I reinserted the stick on the Vista machine and tried to run the executable I got that message. I recompiled the application (with no changes) and all now seems fine. It worries me that the error simply went away and I didn't do anything!

However in testing I've now come up with another issue. Opened the app on Windows XP Pro SP3 and got a message telling me I needed to install Shockwave Player Ver 11. Expect this is not a shockwave app.

My dilemma is many of my clients are corporate and will not be able to download the shockwave player to their machine without a whole big issue with the corporate IT dept. But not really sure why XP Pro SP3 is asking for shockwave in the first place?

Puzzling.
            • 3. Re: This is driving me nuts
              Level 7
              > But not really sure why XP Pro SP3 is asking for
              > shockwave in the first place?

Probably because you created a "Shockwave" projector but omitted a
              library (dll) or xtra that it depends on.
              • 4. Re: This is driving me nuts
                mikem75 Level 1
                Thanks Sean - no, its definatly a Director executable and not a shockwave movie. I think I've solved it though. The movie contained some mp3 audio files. Director adds the "swadcmpr" xtra to the executable in order to play those files. That then likely triggers the request to update the shockwave player. I swapped out the mp3's and exchanged them with quicktime sound movies. This way all I need to ensure is that the users have quicktime installed and I'm done. In my case, pretty much all my clients will have quicktime installed anyway - either on a mac or a pc. The rest of the app is playing quicktime video. So if they don't have quicktime there's no point in going any further anyway.

Still scratching my head on the "Unable to load movie playlist ....." error though. It hasn't returned, but I have no idea why!

Cheers!