2 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2017 12:26 AM by heather*t

Photoshop CS5 extended text engine not initializing

heather*t

Hi--this seems like a perennial question, but the help page for CS5 seems to have been removed. I've tried every remedy I've found for every other version though... =)

I have CS5 extended, running on Win 10, something like 450 system fonts installed (all the latest versions, I think), and the text engine just refuses to initialize. I spent 6 hrs last night re-installing CS, reinstalling/deinstalling fonts, re-booting, trying different solutions, etc. Help?

• 1. Re: Photoshop CS5 extended text engine not initializing
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

something like 450 system fonts installed

You could try weeding out this stuff? I mean 450 fonts? Really? Clearly a single "bad" font could cause all kinds of mayhem just as the sheer number could drag down the text engine.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Photoshop CS5 extended text engine not initializing
            heather*t Level 1

Usually I work with about 250-300, but all these fonts are either Adobe or Microsoft. I've had them uninstalled before, but since I didn't know if any of them was *necessary* I just put them all back in. I agree that it's ridiculous! I have over 20,000 fonts, but I keep them in a separate folder and just install/uninstall at need. The life of a graphic designer! =) Unfortunately, it's really hard to find an official list of which fonts are required for the system to operate, so I just threw them all back in there...