2 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2017 7:34 PM by StrongBeaver

Opening File (standard) crashes Photoshop ?

StrongBeaver Level 3

I've run into an odd problem, which I've never experienced.  With the most recent update to Photoshop 2017.1.1 when within a standard account in Windows10(1703) attempting to simply open a file (File > Open) Photoshop Crashes.  Although when opening Photoshop (CTRL+ALT+SHIFT) I loose my workspace but I can open a file (File > Open) ?

• 1. Re: Opening File (standard) crashes Photoshop ?
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Supply pertinent information for quicker answers

• The more information you supply about your situation, the better equipped other community members will be to answer. Consider including the following in your question:
          • Adobe product and version number
          • Operating system and version number
          • The full text of any error message(s)
          • What you were doing when the problem occurred
          • Screenshots of the problem
          • Computer hardware, such as CPU; GPU; amount of RAM; etc.
          • Please post your Crash reports and menu Help>System Info

CC 2015 crash.jpg

• 2. Re: Opening File (standard) crashes Photoshop ?
            StrongBeaver Level 3

Checking error logs the problem comes from Shell32.dll. 

As I mentioned I run Photoshop as a standard user, when running Photoshop via (CTRL+ALT+SHIFT) as most are familiar with this resets your Photoshop preferences; although in my case it doesn't.  That is because I'm not logged in as an Administrator, therefore my Photoshop preferences remain untouched and it is using the (CTRL+ALT+SHIFT) method to open Photoshop that I'm able to open any file once Photoshop is loaded. 

What is causing this problem as a standard user, my Windows updates are up to current, it's not as if Photoshop doesn't load. There is no malware, virus this is between Photoshop and Windows.

1 person found this helpful