18 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2017 11:31 PM by Cleo_helm

Adding parts of a Excel file into an InDesign text frame

Cleo_helm

Hello,

I'm new to JavaScript in InDesign and try to code some things to understand it. I use CS6 (Version 8.0).

I can place an Text or Excel file into an InDesign document, that is not an issue. But now I want to place single cells of an Excel table into the InDesign document in separate text frames.

First one question: function xy() means that JavaScript should run this function (the paranthese) and in the curly brackets say how to do the function: function xy(){}, correct?!

At the moment the result is just my Title Textframe on top and the whole Excel table.

How can define in the place method that I want a specific part of my EXCEL file only?

my Code:

//Define the file I want to use

var myList = new File("H:/test-excel.xlsx");

//If NOT the indicated Excel-file exist do the following

if(!myList.exists) {

alert("Save the Excel file");

}

//If the indicated Excel-file exist do the following stuff in the else{}

else {     

//open a new document     

var myDocument = app.documents.add();    

//use this current page

var myPage = myDocument.pages.item(0);

//Now we tell the script which measurement units we take, in this case points (pt)

myDocument.viewPreferences.horizontalMeasurementUnits = MeasurementUnits.points;

myDocument.viewPreferences.verticalMeasurementUnits = MeasurementUnits.points;

//defines the Title text frame including content and style

var myTextFrameTitle = myDocument.textFrames.add();

//defines the size of the text frame [y1, x1, y2, x2], which give the coordinates of the top-left and bottom-right corners of the textframe

myTextFrameTitle.geometricBounds = [36,36,55,300];

//what to write in the field

myTextFrameTitle.contents = "Titel";

//which font and size

myTextFrameTitle.paragraphs.firstItem().appliedFont = app.fonts.item("Arial");

myTextFrameTitle.paragraphs.firstItem().fontStyle = "Bold";

myTextFrameTitle.paragraphs.firstItem().pointSize= 16;

myTextFrameTitle.paragraphs.firstItem().justification = Justification.LEFT_ALIGN

//adds the text of only the first Excel sheet to the document below the Title text frame

var myExcelRowA = myDocument.textFrames.add();

//here are all Excel frames which are upcoming defined           

myExcelRowA.geometricBounds =[65, 36, 90, 68];

//place the Excel file into the text field

myExcelRowA.place(myList, undefined, false, true)[0];

I know that I define my Excel file like this, but I don't get this two together:

//starts a function (named "myImport") to import specific parts of an Excel file

function myImport(){

//says how the Excel file should be imported

with (app.excelImportPreferences) {

alignmentStyle = [AlignmentStyleOptions.SPREADSHEET][0];                          

sheetIndex = 1;

sheetName = "Institute"; //name of the sheet

rangeName = "A1:B2"; //from first to last cell

showHiddenCells = false; //doesn't show hidden cells, write true to also show hidden cells

tableFormatting = TableFormattingOptions.Excel_Formatted_Table;

//viewName = "H:/2017_05_01_HMGU-Struktur_verbesserungen/scripts/test-excel.xlsx";

//myExcel content will appear on the page which is taken form the Excel document

} //closing of with

} //closing of function