• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Anyone out there who can help with font issues in INDD?

New Here ,
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning!

Please help!!

I am 1000% perplexed. Here is the scenario:

Client submits an INDD document. I open up the file, all looks good (or some small changes, but this irrelevant) I then "Save as" the file under our office naming conventions.

I send the document to our plotter for proofing and once the proof is out, I send to client. All good. Proof comes back the next day with one minor change (for an example, lets say they added a comma). I reopen the document.

This is where is gets rough!

(Insert scary music here)

The dreaded pink highlighter is over half, if not all the text!!! How can that be? I just printed it fine the other day!?  I read something here in the forums about "DOCUMENT ONLY" fonts but why would it show up when I initially opened it and then be gone when I open it again? This is happening very frequently with jobs here.

Note - the jobs are packaged correctly. Sometimes though, when a job opens up, and no pink highlighted text shows, I assume (ok I know I shouldn't assume, but please bear with me, but I assume that since there is no pink highlighting, all fonts are ok)

Anyhow, sometimes the fonts that are missing are not even located in the fonts folder, so I am up the creek - especially since I already sent the client a proof with no errors. I look crazy when I tell them I am missing fonts at this point?

Anyone have a work around or any ideas on how to fix this? I thank you in advance if you do!!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Are you having the client "Package" the InDesign document, so that the fonts are bundled in a sub-folder called "Document fonts"? If so, good. When you open their file, the Document fonts folder gets used. No pinkness. When you save-as, are you saving to a different location? If so, then the Document fonts sub-folder is now gone, relatively speaking, and the re-opened file will show missing fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you having the client "Package" the InDesign document, so that the fonts are bundled in a sub-folder called "Document fonts"? If so, good. When you open their file, the Document fonts folder gets used. No pinkness. When you save-as, are you saving to a different location? If so, then the Document fonts sub-folder is now gone, relatively speaking, and the re-opened file will show missing fonts.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow - you nailed it!

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2017 Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That makes sense but I've actually double clicked on the font and installed on my system. Still not showing up. What now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Karen, what OS are you? Are you using any font management software? Do you have the font installed twice? Have you used any font-examination software (like Font Doctor) to look for corrupt fonts? Are you careful to only use new fonts, specifically OpenType fonts? What font are you double-clicking to install?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Michael, To answer your questions: macOS Sierra Version 10.12.6. I'm just using the system Font Book and Font Finagler. I most likely has fonts installed twice. Never heard of Font Doctor but I believe Font Finagler does the same thing. I have been publishing for 22 years and most likely have some super old legacy fonts that I've carried with me through the years. I try and use OpenType but frankly I'm usually in a hurry and just load whatever my customers or designer send me. The font I was trying to install was Andada SC Bold & Bold Italic.

They've loaded now but I suspect I have some serious housekeeping to do.

Thanks for getting back to me!

Warmly,

Karen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines