• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need help with blend mask.

Mentor ,
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know I've done this in the past, but everything I try becomes invisible...

Blend.png

but what I want to do is put the gradient ( blend ) in the "blue" letters.  Can someone help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the text outlined or still editable?

Or is this still a live envelope? In that case: make the text black and then create an opacity mask (check "Invert")

In case it's already outlined: make sure it's a compound path and then make a clipping mask

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika. The blend is "live" and is behind outlined text. I did not create a compound path. Let me try that. I am using CD3.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to get the mask to work, however the centers of the "o" are still not open.  I am able to delete the center of the o and the number 0; but one of the o's refuses to release.  Should I expand the blend?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need to touch the blend.

Can you maybe upload that Illustrator file somewhere, so we can take a look?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try applying a compound path to the "o" again with the center and the outer vectors selected, be sure the center of the character is the top most object of the two.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both for your help.  I think it was a problem with the letters being grouped.  In a bind for time, I came up with this...

Gradient_Mask.png

which, sad to say, was a matter of placing a gradient behind each letter separately and ungrouped.  Actually created a rectangle, angled it, and applied a new gradient direction on each to give the illusion of a blend.  I suspect had I more time, I could have done what I wanted and may still just to see if my theory holds water.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.  Even with letters ungrouped, I couldn't get the blend to work.  When I attempted to do the mask, only the exclamation point retained the blend.  Everything else dropped out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
May 30, 2017 May 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try making it a compound path or adding the Outline Object Effect to the type prior to using it as a mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines