• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Elements 12 missing menu text.

New Here ,
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was working on Photos last week, no problems.  All of a sudden today, I open Photoshop Elements 12 editor to work on some photos, and all the dialog text in the menus are missing.  I can't do anything.  I don't understand because it worked fine last week.  I am running Photoshop Elements 12 on an up-to-date WIN 10 system that was upgraded from WIN7.  Not sure that is important but thought I would throw that in there.

My Adobe Premiere Elements 12 Video Editor opens just fine with all the menu's intact.  I cleaned up out all the temp files and I just don't know what else to do.  If I can avoid uninstalling and reinstalling that would be great. 

Yes, my system is up-to-date.

yes, Photoshop is up-to-date.

Yes, I restarted the computer.

Any suggestions, fixes, or help would be great.

Thanks,

Chris

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , May 27, 2017 May 27, 2017

After finishing the above response I did a manual check on updates and there was one which wasn't there yesterday 2017-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4020102). I installed this and bingo Photoshop works (not checked everything but most). Sorry Microsoft you did help!!!

John

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two ideas that MAY work to install and/or run old programs in Windows 10

-RIGHT click the program icon or EXE and select a compatibility mode in the pop up option window

-or Run as Administrator http://forums.adobe.com/thread/969395 to assign FULL Windows permissions may help... says Encore, but sometimes required for ALL Adobe programs (this is NOT the same as using an Administrator account)

-or more on permissions https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2293598

Owners of old programs simply have problems with Windows 10... none of which is Adobe's fault... Adobe did not change your old program to make it stop working... Microsoft changed their operating system and THAT is why your old program won't work, not because of anything Adobe did... Also... every time Microsoft issues a Win10 update, there is the risk that an old program that HAS been working after the initial Win10 upgrade will STOP working... bottom line, old programs require a matching old operating system

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2017 May 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem this morning with Elements 11. Started to do an install of Elements 13 and the install program said I had an impending restart (or something to that effect). I stopped the install and did a restart. Went back to Elements 11 and all was again normal and fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 25, 2017 May 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi christophers,

Thanks for posting in Adobe forums.

I understand you are facing issue with Elements in Windows 10.

Microsoft has released a new Windows 10 update KB4016240 (Build 15063.250) that attempts to fix most of the common issues faced by users who upgraded to Windows 10 Creators Update. While no new features are being added in this update several other issues have been addressed.

Thanks

Regards

Dhananjay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2017 May 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue I have Elements 10 which has worked for me for years - as I am not a power user. Went to use the program yesterday and      i)     the menu bar did not show the options but just a vertical block when any of the menu titles were clicked on

ii)    there was a see-through bar under the menu bar

iii)   the programme seemed sluggish even when loading - I obviously couldn't do any work.

iv)   took ages to close program every time I opened it and one occasion had to use Task Manager to close it.

Tried reinstalling but to no avail. Considered purchasing Photoshop 15 but can I be sure that that will work now or in the future. My system was up to date yesterday and I have checked the update history and the fix you mention does not appear on the list - unless Microsoft don't number all their updates but call them "Cumulative Update" and quote the last number. Not sure what their protocols are.

Any help would be appreciated as I am sure I won't get any from Microsoft!

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After finishing the above response I did a manual check on updates and there was one which wasn't there yesterday 2017-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4020102). I installed this and bingo Photoshop works (not checked everything but most). Sorry Microsoft you did help!!!

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the fix.  Thx for keeping me updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2017 Jul 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just realized I have the same issue now.  My system says I already have this update installed.  Still have missing text from my menus.  Can't do anything.  I even downloaded the standalone install for this update.  Said it was already installed.

HELP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with PSE 11.  My Windows 10 updated to Creators Edition in the last few days.  Yesterday I started PSE11 and had no text in the menu dropdowns.  I eventually uninstalled and then reinstalled PSE11, which worked last night, but today the issue has reoccurred.

I have no pending updates with either Adobe or Microsoft, and PSE11 is unuseable

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2017 Aug 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with PSE 11. I am not a power user, so I am not sure when it started, but it was this year after one of the Win 10 update. The pull-down menus are narrow, only the triangle is visible on the lines where sub menus are available. I tried uninstalling then reinstalling PSE 11. This fixed the problem, BUT my joy was sort lived. After shutting down my computer, the problem re-occurred, when I powered up next time. I also tried to install KB4020102. It went through the installation process and booted up. Then I opened up PSE 11 and hurrah, it worked fine. BUT as before the problem re appeared after booting my computer next time. So I am totally out of luck. Any HELP to have a real solution that works tomorrow as well as today, really is appreciated!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Auch bei mir war der Fehler nach einem Neustart wieder da. Jetzt habe ich eine vorübergehende Lösung in einem anderen Forum gefunden. Reg-Datei zum Download und Beschreibung: Re: Problems in Windows 10 Creators Update with Fonts Installed via “Shortcut”!

Die dort befindliche zip-Datei entpacken, dann die *.rex in *.reg umbenennen und ausführen.

Hat bei mir geholfen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines