2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2009 3:38 PM by Newsgroup_User

Why Flash? Why not Director?!

dezinewiz
      Hello Adobe Design Community,

I was wondering...

Why in the world doesn’t Adobe Director get as much press and support as Adobe Flash?

I simply don’t get it.

Flash can’t compare to Director in terms of it’s capabilities. Lingo is FAR easier to use than complicated Action Script 3.0.

As a metaphor, it appears that in Action Script 3.0, in order to utilize timeline control, it’s like - go into the woods, hang around forever, go forward, and go over ten hills, and maybe, when you get to grandma’s house, the mouse will click, and your timeline will jump to the proper frame - if you’re lucky!

For Lingo, it’s as simple as - on mousedown go to frame 40. Meaning, when you click, it jumps to frame 40. Simple. Done. Finished. No hassle. No complicated nonsense.

On top of this, it doesn’t appear that Flash has nearly the 3-D world game creation capability as Director.

So, wonderful design community, what’s the deal?! Why the lack of love and support?

Thank you very much!

Sincerely,

Daniel Rappaport

Renaissance Man Designs

http://www.RenManD.com
        • 1. Re: Why Flash? Why not Director?!
          Level 7
          dezinewiz wrote:

> Why in the world doesn?t Adobe Director get as much press and support as Adobe
          > Flash?

Hi Daniel,

To answer the question, we have to look at a bit of history. In the mid 90s, the
          CD-ROM market was at its peak and Director was the flagship product of Macromedia.
          Then the World Wide Web came about and Flash was released to the world. I don't
          think Macromedia realised how big Flash would become. Early Flash content was
          called Shockwave Flash to try draw on the success the name Shockwave which Director
          made famous.

With the popularity of Flash and the web, the Macromedia CEO at the time decided to
          put all energy into the primary Internet products. Director was seen as an off-line
          tool that could do a bit of web stuff, so was put in the lesser product category.
          So, Flash continues to thrive, Director gathers dust. Flash outgrows Shockwave and
          Macromedia sign the world's worst Internet contract with shockwave.com that creates
          headaches for many developers. Through the years, the name Shockwave is abused and
          loses it's marketability.

Around 2000, Macromedia release Director 8.5 which is given a 3D engine. Things
          look up, but D8.5 did not generate a big enough surge in sales Macromedia were
          hoping for. So, they pretty much halt development of 3D and even give minimal
          updates to Director. Last Macromedia release was 2004.

Now, Adobe buy out Macromedia. They decide Director has life and value. But it is
          in a neglected state, many features need updating to newer technology standards.
          So, it is not a quick fix.

Now, to your question - I'd say Adobe is giving it a lot more love and support
          than Macromedia did in its last few years. Why the low press support, well, it has
          had some press coverage. It's not as much a sotehr products because it's still not
          a high profile product and alos perhaps because Adobe really need to release a few
          versions that can really start to excite people and get the features at superior
          standards. D11 did not do that. There has been talk about future versions
          addressing user expectations. So, hopefully, Adobe will bring Director back to some
          glory with its next version.

regards
          Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
          http://www.deansdirectortutorials.com/
          http://www.multimediacreative.com.au
          email: d.utian@unsw.edu.au

• 2. Re: Why Flash? Why not Director?!
            Level 7
            The obvious answer I think would be to allow Director to publish to
            Flash. If you can publish to .exe or dcr wouldn't it make sense to
            include Flash. I agree with the original post - Director is way
            friendlier than Flash. I bought Flash 5 some time ago and then upgraded
            to 8 - unfortunately I hate it and can't do much of anything with it. I
            tried converting one of my Director projects to Flash and just gave up.
            The development environment is just too difficult. I would kill to get
            a Director to Flash plugin or a version of Director that does it
            natively. Director should also handle .pdfs - obvious no - Adobe makes
            pdf - duh! Oh well maybe they will get it some day - try listening to
            your customers - or go the way of General Motors.

Regards to all,

Prof. S.

Dean Utian wrote:
            > dezinewiz wrote:
            >
            >> Why in the world doesn?t Adobe Director get as much press and support as Adobe
            >> Flash?
            >
            > Hi Daniel,
            >
            > To answer the question, we have to look at a bit of history. In the mid 90s, the
            > CD-ROM market was at its peak and Director was the flagship product of Macromedia.
            > Then the World Wide Web came about and Flash was released to the world. I don't
            > think Macromedia realised how big Flash would become. Early Flash content was
            > called Shockwave Flash to try draw on the success the name Shockwave which Director
            > made famous.
            >
            > With the popularity of Flash and the web, the Macromedia CEO at the time decided to
            > put all energy into the primary Internet products. Director was seen as an off-line
            > tool that could do a bit of web stuff, so was put in the lesser product category.
            > So, Flash continues to thrive, Director gathers dust. Flash outgrows Shockwave and
            > Macromedia sign the world's worst Internet contract with shockwave.com that creates
            > headaches for many developers. Through the years, the name Shockwave is abused and
            > loses it's marketability.
            >
            > Around 2000, Macromedia release Director 8.5 which is given a 3D engine. Things
            > look up, but D8.5 did not generate a big enough surge in sales Macromedia were
            > hoping for. So, they pretty much halt development of 3D and even give minimal
            > updates to Director. Last Macromedia release was 2004.
            >
            > Now, Adobe buy out Macromedia. They decide Director has life and value. But it is
            > in a neglected state, many features need updating to newer technology standards.
            > So, it is not a quick fix.
            >
            > Now, to your question - I'd say Adobe is giving it a lot more love and support
            > than Macromedia did in its last few years. Why the low press support, well, it has
            > had some press coverage. It's not as much a sotehr products because it's still not
            > a high profile product and alos perhaps because Adobe really need to release a few
            > versions that can really start to excite people and get the features at superior
            > standards. D11 did not do that. There has been talk about future versions
            > addressing user expectations. So, hopefully, Adobe will bring Director back to some
            > glory with its next version.
            >
            > regards
            > Dean
            >
            > Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
            > http://www.deansdirectortutorials.com/
            > http://www.multimediacreative.com.au
            > email: d.utian@unsw.edu.au
            >