2 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2017 1:24 PM by buzzy@rhythmbee.com

SWF to HTML5 - Is Canvas really the way to go?

Level 1

Hundreds of swf files that teach music reading (5 to 30 minutes in length).

Hundreds of button entries on each file.

Is HTML Canvas really the best tool to convert my material to something that will allow me to continue my current business?

Please advise.

• 1. Re: SWF to HTML5 - Is Canvas really the way to go?
          ClayUUID Adobe Community Professional

To paraphrase Churchill, Canvas is the worst tool to convert your material, except for all the others.

Animate is the only (commercially supported) tool that can take your Flash FLAs and automatically convert them to a format that will publish as HTML5. After conversion your project will be about 90% the same. You'll lose some vector graphic capabilities. Text rendering is much more primitive. The old components won't work. A few other things. But the major pain point will be scripting. SWF's ActionScript syntax is nearly identical to HTML's JavaScript (more so to AS2 than AS3), but the underlying APIs are almost completely different. So generic logic, math, string handling code can run almost unchanged, but anything that manipulates graphics or sound will have to be rewritten.

• 2. Re: SWF to HTML5 - Is Canvas really the way to go?
            Level 1

I love that Churchill quote.

How would I find someone who does this for a living and might contract to do the conversion?