• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I get to HTML5 or something else that is likely to continue?

New Here ,
May 24, 2017 May 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hundreds of swf files that teach music reading (5 to 30 minutes in length).

Hundreds of button entries on each file.

Is HTML Canvas really the best tool to convert my material to something that will allow me to continue my current business?

Please advise.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 24, 2017 May 24, 2017

HTML5 doesn't do sound as well as AS3, so some of what you do may not be possible.

I think you should take into account the fact that all browsers can still use Flash Player, and you have the option of making desktop or mobile apps from your existing files. The whole world doesn't have to be HTML5.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i don't think there is a "best" tool.  animate cc is one such tool to convert fla files to html5, but you can expect to do some (or a lot of) work on each file you convert.

you can use google (convert swf to html5) to see all your options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HTML5 doesn't do sound as well as AS3, so some of what you do may not be possible.

I think you should take into account the fact that all browsers can still use Flash Player, and you have the option of making desktop or mobile apps from your existing files. The whole world doesn't have to be HTML5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tell me more about HTML5 not dealing well with sound.

My material requires exact precision of audio with video, though the audio is usually just a click track. Can I depend on that sort of accuracy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, I know that all browsers CAN still use Flash, but there is so much hype and fear about security and virus issues that many are becoming hesitant to continue using that solution. I assume that the frequent "fixes" are seen as acknowledgement that there are problems rather than assurance that Adobe will monitor and adjust to the environment.

Some of our customers download the swf files and use them with a stand-alone Flash Player as desktop apps. But some school administrations don't understand that such usage of an swf and Flash Player does not expose them to security and virus risks. I sometimes think that there are low level folks who make too much of such things so they can be seen as managing something.

What is it that makes Flash so objectionable?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mainly, Steve Jobs. He was wrong in what he said, but everyone believed him.

The security issues are because Flash is so popular, that virus writers still attack it. There are security issues in JavaScript, but people are not dropping that. Over time I would expect the virus authors to attack HTML5 more.

In addition to using the standalone player you could make AIR desktop apps. Those can contain an embedded runtime engine, and so in no way appear to be connected to Flash Player or some other system wide playback engine. IT managers need not see the word Flash at any stage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Everyone? Nah.

Most people... yep

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, it's a good idea to only post once for a given topic. I'll stay with answering questions here, and I'll ignore the other post you made.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I thought the first one did not post. Sorry for the breech of etiquette.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines