3 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2017 4:04 AM by D Fosse

Can't bring a color picked in color.adobe.com into a Photoshop swatch

erics8781912

I made a color palette in color.adobe.com and I'm trying to create swatches in Photoshop for each of the colors in my palette. I'm not having success with this though. Here's what I tried:

1. Use eye dropper tool to pick each of the colors.

I clicked on the eye dropper tool, then clicked on the document and dragged the pen to the browser window to sample the color. The color picker stops sampling when the cursor is outside of the Photoshop window.

2. Save the palette to my library and access the colors from within Photoshop.

I saved the palette in color.adobe.com and I'm able to see it in my "Libraries" window within Photoshop. I can now sample the colors with the eye dropper, but the colors that appear in the Swatches panel as a result are way more saturated than the ones in the palette. I thought this might be a color profile issue, but I'm not sure how to fix my settings. My image's profile is ProPhoto RGB, and the workspace is Adobe RGB, and changing these settings seems to have no effect.

I'm on Windows 10 and this is my Photoshop version: 2017.1.1 20170425.r.252 2017/04/25:23:00:00 CL 1113967  x64

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Can't bring a color picked in color.adobe.com into a Photoshop swatch
          D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Adobe Color is not color managed. The RGB values picked up there will produce different actual colors depending on the document color space.

sRGB should be reasonably close, but you will never get a perfect match between a color managed and a non-color managed environment, due to the inherent unpredictability of the latter.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can't bring a color picked in color.adobe.com into a Photoshop swatch
            erics8781912 Level 1

Thank you for your reply. To be clear: are you suggesting that I go to Edit -> Color Settings and change the "Working Spaces" RGB profile from Adobe RGB to sRGB? I did that and still get much more saturated colors in the swatches. Or do you have another setting in mind?

• 3. Re: Can't bring a color picked in color.adobe.com into a Photoshop swatch
              D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The working space is just a fallback default, the important thing is what color space the file is in.

But even in an sRGB file, how close the color is depends on your monitor. It can be close or it can be very different, and there's no way to predict that. This is what "no color management" implies - there's no reference; all bets are off. Anything can happen.

Adobe's policies on this are schizophrenic. While the major graphic applications have always been the industry standard for color management implementation, the web-related apps never had proper color management support at all. Even inside Photoshop, the Save For Web and Export modules have color management disabled by default.

It's as if they haven't even noticed that web browsers have been color managed for a long time. It's a mystery, and there's no sensible explanation for it.