7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2017 11:18 PM by F. McLion

How to recover lost keywords?

joseph motto

In the process of uninstalling and reinstalling LR 6 my keywords all disappeared. I had a very large number and have no idea if it is possible to recover them or not and, if so, how to go about it.

• 1. Re: How to recover lost keywords?
          dj_paige Level 9

Uninstalling/reinstalling would not cause your keywords to disappear. So perhaps you did something else after you re-installed. Did you? Please tell us what you did after you re-installed. Please tell us lots and lots and lots of details about what you did after you re-installed. Leave nothing out. For example, did you open a new catalog and import all your photos?

• 2. Re: How to recover lost keywords?
            joseph motto Level 1

It is very difficult for me to tell you everything I did as I found the reinstall confusing (see my last posting). Ultimately I was able to bring up my Pictures files in LR 6 but it only consisted of about 40% of the images that I  currently have in LR. It appeared that this represented my catalog of several years ago as the only backup I had in my desktop was from that time; since then I have always backed up to an external drive. I did note, however, that I did have a limited number of keywords. I then went to my latest backup of my catalog dated 4/30/17, copied it, and pasted it into my desktop main drive. From there LR 6 finally opened with all of my images but absolutely no keywords at all.

• 3. Re: How to recover lost keywords?
              F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Reinstalling did not touch your latest and most current catalog. You need to open this catalog and not some backup.

Search for *.lrcat files to find the catalog you used before the reinstall.

Why did you reinstall in the first place?

If you had LR set to automatically save to xmp, then the keywords are stored in the catalog as well as to the xmp sidecar files. You need to have either one to recover the keywords.

However, the focus is to find and use the catalog you used before removing and reinstalling.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How to recover lost keywords?
                joseph motto Level 1

I understand what you are saying here. I would have thought that when I copied and pasted the catalog backup and opened it the keywords would be with it. Apparently that is not the case. I so far have been unable to find the original file. Can you give me some idea as to where I might look for it (my Desktop OS is Windows 7)? If you posted a screenshot of where yours is located would that help me to follow suit to find mine? I am encouraged to hear that they are not forever lost.

• 5. Re: How to recover lost keywords?
                  joseph motto Level 1

I have done a complete search and I find no .lrcat file other than an old one from LR 4 several years ago and the current one that I pasted from my EHD backup. I have not saved or backed up to my main drive when exiting LR, only to the EHD. Apparently in that process the keywords do not go along so it would appear that I am toast as far as recovering keywords, correct? And going forward I am not willing to re-keyword all my images as it would simply take too long; I will simply stop using keywords unless someone has a way to yet retrieve them.

All of those dated between 5/23 and 5/26 are the copied EHD backup. Those earlier were LR4 from a couple of years ago. I cannot find a  recent file.

lightroom-backuips.jpg

• 6. Re: How to recover lost keywords?
                    joseph motto Level 1

For anyone who followed this discussion I finally (with help) found the answer: Windows>Panels>Keyword List brought back my keywords.

• 7. Re: How to recover lost keywords?
                      F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Oh, the list panel was hidden ... that was a misunderstanding then, because I was in the believe that there were no keywords shown in the Keyword List panel nor in the Keywording panel. A screenshot would have made the very clear pretty quick