• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Workspace closes when file is closed

Explorer ,
May 25, 2017 May 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm annoyed enough to ask: Photoshop CC (version 2017.1.1) closes my workspace when I close a file and it's not open when I start Photoshop with or without "start" workspace disabled.. I'm in and out of Photoshop all day and it's time consuming to navigate the workspace menu each time. If I leave a file open, all is well. Problem started with the latest update. Any known fix? I'm I missing something?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 26, 2017 May 26, 2017

Thanks JJ, Dave, for helping me dig.

My eye's suck too!! They invented magnifying glasses and accessibility features for us old farts, eh?  I posted small screen shots to save resources, habit, since I wasn't trying to show details. This one should be easier to read.

I dug into preferences some more and found Preferences > Workspace  > "Auto-Show Hidden Panels" selected. I don't need to hide no stinking panels, With Start Workspace AND that switch turned off, Photoshop behaves as expected. Go fig

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem isn't fixed, but I created a keyboard shortcut as a workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You never provided any real information about you problem.  N0 one else seems to be having  your problems with their work-space closing.  If you do not have Photoshop Start work-space or recent Files work-space and Photoshop closed your work-space what does Photoshop UI look like?  A screen capture would be helpful....

Supply pertinent information for quicker answers

• The more information you supply about your situation, the better equipped other community members will be to answer. Consider including the following in your question:
  • Adobe product and version number
  • Operating system and version number
  • The full text of any error message(s)
  • What you were doing when the problem occurred
  • Screenshots of the problem
  • Computer hardware, such as CPU; GPU; amount of RAM; etc.
JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 26, 2017 May 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure JJ,

Sorry, after reading all I could about Workspace, I tossed a quick question since I couldn't find any info about my problem. I hoping I'm just missing a setting. This is Photoshop specific. Once I open a Workspace in any other Adobe app, it stays open whether files are open or not..

---

Adobe Photoshop CC / 2017.1.1 / current update

Windows 10 Pro 64 - Fresh installation, January 2017 / current update

i7, 3.30ghz / 32gb

NVIDA GTX 650 Ti / 16gb

---

Preferences:

Photoshop opens to "Start" Workspace when checked (1)

If "Start" Workspace is unchecked or Legacy "New Document" is checked I get this (2)

Legacy.png

I can select and use my Workspace at any time (3)

PS CC (2).png

Then open files and work normally (4)

PS CC (3).png

When I close the last file, PS reverts to "Start" Workspace (1). That is acceptable, but I'm used to having my workspace stay open.

When I open another file, Workspace remains turned off (5)

PS CC (4).png

Of course, I can turn the Workspace on again, but I haven't had to do that in the past and it's a pain. I'm hoping I'm just missing something and if anyone can help, I'd be thrilled!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you look in Preferences - General is "Show "Start" Workspace when no documents are open" checked? If so, uncheck it and restart Photoshop

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tried that, as noted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My eyes are not as good as your you scaled every thing down too small for my eyes.  So let me show you how My Photoshop opens.  I turn off both work-spaces Start and Recent Files.   Also to off open in tabs and image docking. 

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the screen shots weren't for detail. They just show that the workspace isn't there. I'll try a few more switches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks JJ, Dave, for helping me dig.

My eye's suck too!! They invented magnifying glasses and accessibility features for us old farts, eh?  I posted small screen shots to save resources, habit, since I wasn't trying to show details. This one should be easier to read.

I dug into preferences some more and found Preferences > Workspace  > "Auto-Show Hidden Panels" selected. I don't need to hide no stinking panels, With Start Workspace AND that switch turned off, Photoshop behaves as expected. Go figure, "Show" must be an acronym for "Hide All". I'm not going to try to repeat the problem for fear of the problem sticking around

I was ready to blame it on MS-Windows, which has caused much grief over the years.

Now I can concentrate on making light brighter.

2017-05-26 (15).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Thanks for coming back and letting us know what worked for you. It may help others.

I have that option checked and it works , but I guess every system is different

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 27, 2017 May 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Absolutely! 

I've had my share of odd OS issues over the years. Now Google knows about this one.

Thanks for you help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines