• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sporadically missing pdf-elements in pdf-export

New Here ,
May 26, 2017 May 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have had and have a problem in Indesign CS5 and now IndesignCC for years.

The problem occurs rarely, time by time, it is not replicable.

Operating System, Windows 7, different users, different workstations

The problem:

The documents content one ore more pdf-elements. When exporting to pdf, one or more of the elements are lacking in th created pdf.

When repeating the same export without any change (no restart, same settings etc.), the created pdf is complete.

The elements and documents are loaded and written to/from samba-netshares from different places in a WAN.

The speed of the network seems to have influence: the slower the line, the more frequent the occurance.

Any ideas or same experiences?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You almost nailed the right answer yourself:

josefw92127321  wrote

... the slower the line, the more frequent the occurance.

The next statement should be:

keep linked stuff locally - no missing elements.

That's it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, nice answer, but - as I think - not a very elegant solution.

The users are using common element-inventories. All material would have to be spreaded.

Is there a better way? I think, ID should be able to work correctly with net shares.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, it's still is (and always was) very picky to network quality.

EDIT. One of possible solutions: before final export "gather" all the stuff locally via Package...

Well that's not really 'elegant', again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I see.

But there also seems to be a difference in behaviour with different file formants:

Some of our users have helped themselves by converting the pdf-elements to eps. They also load the eps-elements from the net share. The problem never occured with these eps-files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think eps could really be helpful here, it must be a kind of a coincidence in your case.

Apart of saying it's an obsolete format and shouldn't be used at all nowadays...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course eps is obsolete and should not be used.

But according to the occurance of the prolem it cannot be a coincidence.  The users used this method all the years. Several times (when updates or other changes had taken place), we asked them, to try pdf-format again:

The problem occurred again, the users turned to eps again and again the problem did not occur with eps any longer.

So, there seems to be a relation. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Josef,

are you using scripts for exporting PDFs?

There is a bug with placed Adobe Illustrator AI files and placed PDFs as well ( both types of graphics internally are handled as PDFs). Sometimes the graphics miss in the exported PDFs. The culprit: User interaction during PDF export. User does something in the system. Clicking around, working on during the export.

Maybe your problem is related?
Even if you are using no scripts for export?

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe,

sounds very plausible.

As the pdf-export is triggered by a PlugIn, I am quite sure, that we are using scripts (How could I verify this?) .

And yes, the users most time work on during the export.

We have to use this PlugIn, so - if I understand correctly - there is no help before the bug is solved?  Is Adobe working on this bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

josefw92127321  wrote

… As the pdf-export is triggered by a PlugIn, I am quite sure, that we are using scripts (How could I verify this?) .…

Hi Josef,

ask the maker of the PlugIn.

Also ask, if they can do anything about this perhaps using C++ routines instead of scripting (if they are using scripting at all).

The only workaround coud be to do nothing until the export finishes.
Also test this.

I looked up an old thread in the InDesign Scripting forum.
Maybe the bug I was referring to was already fixed with CS6 8.0.2 ?
Maybe only with OSX and not on Windows? Cannot tell…

Best show the makers of the PlugIn this thread here:

[JS][CS4/CS5] Images dropping off in scripted pdf export

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines