4 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2017 8:08 AM by dj_paige

Moving LR photo files to new Win 10 laptop

MikeGabbay

This week I purchased a long overdue new laptop.  I am trying to move my photo collection from my old PC (Win 7, LR5) to the laptop (Win10, LR6).  I've looked at several of the online tutorials and it seems pretty straight forward using the import function.  However, I have a couple of legacy issues to deal with as well as a new issue with Win 10.

1. My old files were stored in several directories:

• My Pictures (has about 73K photos, my main collection)
      • User/Michael Gabbay/My Pictures (has several thousand photos plus this looks to be where the LR cat files are store)

2. When I set up my new laptop, my user directory is named mikeg and not my full name.  So a straight import seems to be a problem as far as needing to have to re-link the photos.  Re-linking is straightforward enough by finding the folder that it resides. 

Is there a way in Win10 to name the user folder the same as what I had in Win7 so I can avoid having to re-link?

Is there a way to relink at the parent level if the folder is at the root level (C:My Pictures)?

Should I organize all of my photos under one directory structure in my old laptop and them move them over?

3. My new laptop has a 256GB SSD and my collection is about 300GB so I am planning on using a remote drive to store the majority of my collection.  How would I do this in LR6?

Thanks, Mike

• 1. Re: Moving LR photo files to new Win 10 laptop
          dj_paige Level 9

MikeGabbay  wrote

This week I purchased a long overdue new laptop.  I am trying to move my photo collection from my old PC (Win 7, LR5) to the laptop (Win10, LR6).  I've looked at several of the online tutorials and it seems pretty straight forward using the import function.  However, I have a couple of legacy issues to deal with as well as a new issue with Win 10.\

I don't know what you are looking at, but there is NO importing in this scenario. NO IMPORTING. Not only is importing the wrong thing to do in this case, but it will make matters worse! NO IMPORTING.

This is a very thorough description of how to move your LIghtroom to a new computer: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/

1. My old files were stored in several directories:

• My Pictures (has about 73K photos, my main collection)
          • User/Michael Gabbay/My Pictures (has several thousand photos plus this looks to be where the LR cat files are store)

2. When I set up my new laptop, my user directory is named mikeg and not my full name.  So a straight import seems to be a problem as far as needing to have to re-link the photos.  Re-linking is straightforward enough by finding the folder that it resides. 

NO IMPORTING. Let me say that again. NO IMPORTING. DON"T DO IT. Read the direction in the link above. Read the instructions on how to re-connect inside of Lightroom to photos in a differently named folder hierarchy here: Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders  (see Figure 4 and associated text).

Remember: NO IMPORTING! NO IMPORTING! DO NOT IMPORT!

• 2. Re: Moving LR photo files to new Win 10 laptop
            MikeGabbay Level 1

DJ - Should I use the Import function???

If my parent directories are not named exactly the same (e.g., C:User/mikeg.... versus C:/User/Michael Gabbay) is there a way to correct that when I open the catalog on the new laptop?  Isn't the catalog going to point to the original file structure?

Thanks for the reply.

Mike

• 3. Re: Moving LR photo files to new Win 10 laptop
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The one thing you DON'T want to do is reimport the images. Install Lightroom on the new computer. Double-click on the existing catalog and Lightroom will open it. All of the folders will have question marks on them because they will not be in the same location. DON'T PANIC! Right-click on the parent folder and choose the option to update the folder location. In the dialog that appears, find that parent folder in its current location. If you want it in a different location then put it there before you do this new search. As soon as you update the location in Lightroom all of the subfolders will be updated as well. Everything will now be synchronized and you can continue working normally.

• 4. Re: Moving LR photo files to new Win 10 laptop
                dj_paige Level 9

MikeGabbay  wrote

DJ - Should I use the Import function???

If my parent directories are not named exactly the same (e.g., C:User/mikeg.... versus C:/User/Michael Gabbay) is there a way to correct that when I open the catalog on the new laptop?  Isn't the catalog going to point to the original file structure?

I provided the link to correct the folder naming issue.