3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2008 9:26 AM by James Newton, ACP

Playing protected dxr files

mgbyrnes Level 1
      On an old pagemaker 6.0 CD, there was a protected macromedia presentation which was a sampler of various designer's and their design ideas... it required QuickTime version 2.0 to be installed.

Although I still have the original presentation as well as QT version 2, I would rather not install version 2.0 due to the fact that it constantly "steals" filetype defaults from QT version 7... but then the old macromedia presentation (exe) will not play...

I have tried to "open with" IE and other browsers, but it errors out...

I am not interested in editing the file, just playing the file without installing QT version 2. I have also installed the 2004 version of Macromedia Director, and tried to open the file with Director, but again, an error...

Any ideas? Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Playing protected dxr files
          James Newton, ACP Level 3
          What version of Director was the original presentation created in? What is the error that you are seeing?

Would it be enough to...
          1) Install QT version 2
          2) Run the projector
          3) Reinstall QT version 7
          ... or are you wanting to play the presentation on a regular basis?
          • 2. Re: Playing protected dxr files
            mgbyrnes Level 1
            James, thanks for replying...
            I'm not sure which version of Director, except the files were created in 1995...

What's weird about QT version 2 is that no matter in which order I install QT (version 2, then version 7... or version 7, then version 2), version 2 always steals application defaults)... thus, newer QT video files do not open with version 2...

It's not life threatening, but I am still curious how to open old protected dxr files simply to view its contents...

The error while trying to load the dxr file in IE 7: the first slide of the presentation appears, then an error box:
            "This shockwave movie has errors that have caused playback problems. Please contact the author of this content regarding this problem"

Yes, I would like to refer to the file from time to time for creative ideas...

Thanks again...
            • 3. Re: Playing protected dxr files
              James Newton, ACP Level 3
              If the original presentation is an .exe projector, then there are chances that it uses scripting xtras which are not Shockwave-safe. Such xtras will not load when .dxr is run in a browser, and calls to the xtra's methods will cause an error.

Have you tried creating a stub projector which uses...

go movie "your.dxr"

... to play your file? You could create an Xtras folder alongside this projector and copy into it all the xtras that you think the original would have used.

You may even be able to open the .exe file in an text processor application and look for strings which indicate which xtras were used.

Other than that, all I can suggest for the moment is patience and trial and error.