• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Strange Video Playback Issue

Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2017 May 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The program and source monitors stay frozen on a single frame even though the timeline is playing back smoothly and I can hear the audio. If I double click on the program monitor, the frame will refresh to wherever the timeline marker is placed. But when I press play, nothing. This issue has only crept up in the past week and I've exhausted my options including speaking with technical support (case#188977896). He suggested I create a new user account in windows 10, but I can't do that until next week when our IT guy comes in. I need to use the program asap so I'm throwing out there to the community to see if anyone has had a similar issue.

Whats odd is that it happens in CC2017, CC2015, and CS6. This leads me to believe its an issue with my system. I haven't changed anything in the past week that I can recall that would cause this.

• Versions of Premiere- CC2017, CC2015, CS6
  • I've installed all recent updates including video drivers.
  • Operating system- Windows 10 Pro (64bit) Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.1198)
  • I've tested with png sequence and H.264 in mp4 container
  • No third party effects, but I do have VLC player installed which has installed third party codecs.
  • CPU- Intel Core i7-6820HQ @2.70 GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro M2000,
  • Two internal hardrive, SSD 256GB for system files and 1TB SATA for media
  • Are you using Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration? -I've tried with and without
  • Do you still have the issue when choosing Project Settings > General > Renderer > Mercury Playback Engine (Software Only)? Yes
  • Does the problem only happen with your final output, with previews, or both? Previews only

Much love and appreciation for your time. I will reply with any additional info you may need!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 30, 2017 May 30, 2017

I fixed the issue by going to my Nvidia control panel, "Manage 3D settings", selecting the "Program Settings" tab, and changing "Select the preferred graphics processor for this program" to "Integrated Graphics". After that, the program started working normally again, even after resetting it back to the Nvidia GPU.

I had an inkling that there was some conflict due to having two GPUs, the integrated and the Nvidia Quadro, both active at the same time. This is apparently done as a power saving feat

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
May 26, 2017 May 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this with all projects or just the one?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2017 May 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, all projects sir.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Often when something similar has come it, it has been involved with the audio drivers and/or GPU. Perhaps your audio drivers or GPU  driver updated?

You might try changing the Audio setup/preferences in the Preferences file, and/or rolling back a driver version for the audio or GPU.

First, you might try changing the Mercury Acceleration item in the preferences from "cuda" or OpenCL to "Software Only".

Guessing, but ... these are often involved.

But if someone's got a more direct idea ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2017 May 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing the Mercury Acceleration settings didn't work. I'm working on rolling back the driver versions and will see if that makes a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you set the Program Monitor's playback resolution to its lowest setting of 1/16? It's the dropdown at the bottom, just to the left of the wrench icon. This will help distinguish between a performance issue and a basic functional issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, when clicking the dropdown I only see options for full, 1/2 and 1/4. Setting it to 1/4 makes no difference. I'm wondering why I don't see 1/16?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 28, 2017 May 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a general guide you can work through.  Something in it might help.

Unofficial Premiere Pro Troubleshooting Guide

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2017 May 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same issue all the time on 2015 and frankly that is the entire reason I upgraded to 2017. "Upgraded". Except this version doesn't work either, but that specific issue I haven't encountered yet. Just new ones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fixed the issue by going to my Nvidia control panel, "Manage 3D settings", selecting the "Program Settings" tab, and changing "Select the preferred graphics processor for this program" to "Integrated Graphics". After that, the program started working normally again, even after resetting it back to the Nvidia GPU.

I had an inkling that there was some conflict due to having two GPUs, the integrated and the Nvidia Quadro, both active at the same time. This is apparently done as a power saving feature, so the Quadro is only used when its needed. It was also really strange that the video would refresh only when I clicked in the program monitor. By rapidly clicking in the monitor I could see the video refresh each time, which led to me believe it was some sort of bug.

Anyways, I'm not sure how or why this fixed the issue, but I am up and running again. Thanks to all who offered assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dual GPUs do cause the program & OS to act confused at times. Good catch!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2020 Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So i have the exact same issue with my system, however, I'm running OSX and hence I have AMD GPU.  Specifically the 2018 MB Pro Radeon Vega 20 4GB.  I have the system set to always use GPU (uncheck the option in energy settings to automatically switch GPU).  I have just started another post.  But if anyone else has info on how to fix.  Please post.  I'm trying to install an older version of CC PP V13 now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines