• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Designing T-Shirts

Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2017 May 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to Photoshop and Illustrator so bear with me.

I'm trying to send t-shirt companies my design. On their guidelines, they request that I use vector files for the best result. I did my work in in Illustrator to trace the image and then I dragged it into Photoshop. I saved the Photoshop as a png file to get a transparent background after doing some color work. Because the website requests that I use vector I tried placing that file back in Illustrator. The problem is that all the colors changed. It now looks garbage.

What's the best way to get my art to vector with the colors that I want?

Thanks in advance.

CR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 27, 2017 May 27, 2017

Yeah, illustrator can take some time getting use to. Especially if you never used it before. Illustrator does have a gradient tool but what is better is the blend tool. As each shade is an individual object. However that can choke some printers.

The paint bucket tool is really nothing more than a fill tool. But can be easier for beginners to use that haven't learned all the shortcuts yet.

Some prefer the gradient tool in photoshop over illustrator, but I personally think it is more what you are us

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leave it in Illustrator. Do all your work there. When you put it in photoshop it is rasterized. Png it self is a raster format.

Vector formats are ai, eps and pdf. Eps is not used much any more except for when needing to import into older programs. As it lacks a lot of features that ai and pdf have.

When exporting to pdf make the ai embedded into the pdf, to make it editable later in illustrator.

If you need to use a feature that can only be done in photoshop, it would be best to ask the printer. Only they can tell you how they can use raster effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did about 40 t-shirt designs all in photoshop. What can I do now to print these the best way I possibly can on T-shirts at this point, while still getting the appropriate colors?

I also didn't use Illustrator because I don't know enough about it. I like to use the gradient tool and the paint bucket tool.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, illustrator can take some time getting use to. Especially if you never used it before. Illustrator does have a gradient tool but what is better is the blend tool. As each shade is an individual object. However that can choke some printers.

The paint bucket tool is really nothing more than a fill tool. But can be easier for beginners to use that haven't learned all the shortcuts yet.

Some prefer the gradient tool in photoshop over illustrator, but I personally think it is more what you are use to using.

There are features in illustrator that are raster based like the drop shadow for example. Which would cause an issue with any printer that wants vector only.

You could import your photoshop image into illustrator and let it auto trace it. It might create a viable vector object. Just make sure you expand the trace when you are satisfied to make it a true vector object. Problem with auto tracing is that it can generate an unwielding amount of vector paths, that are really hard to figure out if you need to fix it. But it will be a vector object that is printable as long as it doesn't choke the printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2023 Aug 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

IMG_20230624_214850_869.jpg

 t-shirt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines