• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recording Defaults returning NULL values, crashing app.

Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2017 May 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I attempt to Create new style or Restore defaults the app is crashing. 

Version 10.0.0.192

Sadly...reinstalling had no impact.

**EDIT** Deployed on a new workstation, everything was fine until I tried to create my own defaults. I was able to do so and save. Started a software simulation, then in review noticed my defaults were not implemented. Tried to go set my defaults and when I selected "OK" a number of "unable to delete object" errors were shown... the next time I tried to open defaults all of my data was gone once again.

Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

After working with Adobe support it was recommended that in my case I do not modify the preferences prior to recording, but rather modify them from within the project view itself. 

1. Create blank project.

2. set preferences.

3. Add new software simulation.

This workflow seems to be working for me now but the error shown in the video is still present when taking that path.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2017 May 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open Preferences > General Settings > Default Locations

Where are the two fields pointing to?  Are those folders on the C drive of this workstation?

And are you launching Captivate with Run As Administrator privileges?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2017 May 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod, thanks for your reply.

For both workstations I left the default paths C:\Users\Account\Documents\. The second workstation is using a single SSD with no partitioning. 

Running as admin makes no difference in either case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your issue suggests that Captivate is unable to write to or access the folder where your preferences are located. 

That folder is buried down inside the folders of your user profile at this location:

C:\Users\YOU\AppData\Local\Adobe\Captivate 10.0

My guess would be that for some reason (probably due to security restrictions imposed by IT at your company) this folder at some point is denied access to Captivate and at that point you get this error or the app crashes.  Maybe you should feed this information to your IT department and ask if there is any way they can relax the restrictions. 

IT workers will usually have higher permissions than you do.  So getting them to log on with their own Admin profile and then going through the same actions that produce the crash for you might show that the issue is permissions-based.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your input. I have full domain rights in my organization due to my role, but because I agree with you I did attempt to use the application on my personal workstation where the bug was easily reproduced. 

I'll reach out to adobe for further assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I notice you said you reinstalled Captivate,

Have you tried resetting the Preferences folder and deleting the Layouts folder?  These steps are always required whenever you reinstall or update Captivate.  If you haven't done this, Google for the instructions about updating Captivate and follow the steps laid out in the Release Notes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone else had the same problem, I believe staff has helped out, but no idea how (patch?).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If a hot fix had been implemented I would assume that my latest revision would have the fix? In any case, I am disappointed that I've lost my entire weekend of productivity to this bug. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 29, 2017 May 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

It looks like the default theme is corrupted. No need to reinstall Adobe Captivate, please go to C:\Users\Public\Documents\Adobe\eLearning Assets\Layouts\10_0\en_US location and rename/delete your default theme.

Launch Adobe Captivate and continue working.

Can you please detail us the steps lead to this state?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You! I renamed the 10_0 directory and it was rebuilt when I launched the app. It worked but I'm not able to make any changes to my defaults/themes without having the app crash again.

I created a quicktime capture showing the steps.

https://youtu.be/xlqtFhTEEUc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adam,

One thing I noticed while watching your Youtube video was that you just cloned one of the Default styles as it was and added a number on the end.  But those default styles have square brackets in their names, and I have sometimes seen these characters cause issues when used as names of other objects in Captivate or in certain fields.

Could you try an experiment for me and instead of using the same characters in the default object style name, could you try using a different name that had no punctuation characters at all in it?

Do you get the same result? (It's a long shot, but should only take you a couple of moments to test out.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good idea! I gave it a shot with some basic names "Basic Captions", and the error still occurred... All of your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are currently doing this with the White Theme.  Have you tried using one of the other Themes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just noticed that the error messages shown in the video are looking at Letter path D:\ which I've disabled in both cases. Working with Adobe support now who have reproduced the issue within their environment... will post any updates regarding a resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After working with Adobe support it was recommended that in my case I do not modify the preferences prior to recording, but rather modify them from within the project view itself. 

1. Create blank project.

2. set preferences.

3. Add new software simulation.

This workflow seems to be working for me now but the error shown in the video is still present when taking that path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources