4 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2017 2:52 PM by benp37273899

Collecting, merging and sorting data from non-form PDFs

benp37273899

Greetings:

I'm a new Acrobat user and this week I went through a couple of training courses on Lynda (plus several Adobe videos) in hopes of finding a straightforward method for what I need to accomplish. But so far, no luck...

Here's my dilemma: My retail chain customers send me purchase orders via PDFs. Each one-page file has release information for a particular store in their chain and a single order often includes over 100 PDFs. Each PDF could have from one to 10 item/quantity listings (all stores do not receive the same items or quantities).

The pertinent data I need is the combined totals for each item type (just for tracking purposes). I'd like to export directly to Excel files that I already use for tracking but from what I've read, this can be pretty complex to arrange (if you are not a programmer). Any spreadsheet that summarizes item/quantity would help me get the job done- I can easily transfer the totals manually.

One possibility I looked for was a way to design an "Export Template" where I could specify data fields to merge, based on all possible item types in a stack of PDFs. I couldn't find any method for this. I tried exporting to Excel but it makes a big mess by including all information on a page.

If anyone can offer me some guidance on how I could address my need, I'd sincerely appreciate it!

Thank you!

-Ben