• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New to Captivate. Can I make an image appear on screen with a button interaction?

New Here ,
May 28, 2017 May 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to Captivate.  I purchased Captivate 2017 a couple weeks back and am trying to jump into the deep end to learn to swim.

I'm trying to create a game, and I want to create a keypad with numbers 0-9.  I want to have it set, so that after you hit a number button, that number appears i.e. I hit the button for number 1, number 1 appears, hit 2, the number 2 appears etc.  Then, once the proper 4 digit sequence has been added the user hits the submit button to move to the next slide.

The second half of this seems straightforward enough, but the first part I'm scratching my head on.

Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be careful not to drown... Newbie and starting with a game before you know the basics? Have a look at this article, and see if you have conquered the timeline, quiz and theme?

Challenges for Starters - Captivate blog

Long time ago I created this article, for the present version it would be much easier (I would use shared actions now), but it gives you an idea:

Create a Keypad-Simulation using Advanced Actions - Captivate blog

Where does the number have to appear? If you posted a screenshot of your setup of the slide?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi and thanks for the response!

I have a decent understanding of the basics.  I completed the Lynda.com course on essentials.  That was an incredible help.

I've attached an image of roughly how I'd like the slide to look.  I'd have the keypad to the right and have the code 12345 display to the right of it on the same slide.

Code Pade.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The article I pointed to about the keypad is exactly the same use case.

If you want more explanation about the Advanced Actions dialog box in CP2017:

Advanced Actions Dialog box in Captivate 2017 - Captivate blog

The title of your thread is misleading. It is not as simple as showing an image when clicking on a button at all. That work flow is pretty simple but will not solve the setup of your game:

• Put the image on the slide
  • Make it invisible in output (hope that was in the Essentials course, which I doubt)
  • Create a button or a shape button
  • Use the Success event of that button, open the dropdown list with actions and choose Show, Image

For a game you have to take into account all situations, example:

1. What has to happen when the first button has been clicked, and it is not correct
  2. Same question for the second and following buttons
  3. Do you want to check the sequence only when the submit button has been clicked or after each button click?
  4. How will you reset after a wrong number has been chosen
  5. Will you allow a user to correct one of the numbers or will he have to start from scratch

Try out this game, it has been totally explained and it uses the new UI of the Advanced Actions dialog box.

Playing a dice game, using While loop - Captivate blog

My apologies for being cynical that an 'Essentials' course will allow you to create the grame, especially since it is NOT explaining at all what the timeline means, what the meaning is of a pausing point vs a pause, which objects are affected by a pausing point/pause etc. That basic knowledge is necessary before you creating interactivity. For a game moreover you need knowledge about variables, the use of advanced and shared actions.

Pausing Captivate's Timeline - Captivate blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources