• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

basic jpeg is "missing"

Explorer ,
May 29, 2017 May 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have set my Nikon to save a RAW file in slot 1 and a basic JPEG in slot 2.

I took a test shot and then imported it into LR.

Both files appear in the catalogue but the JPEG is flagged as missing so although it can be seen I can't edit it.

Checking with Finder on my Mac both files are present in the folder.

I am doing this to get a JPEG small enough to email and post on forums - is there a better way of doing this?

LR doesn't seem able to export a big RAW file as a JPEG with a maximum size of 200K - the basic JPEG the camera made is 1.3Meg - still too large and so would need further processing.

I would prefer to get a JPEG of around 200K in LR rather than use the camera's process. Is there a way to do this?

Chaz

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 30, 2017 May 30, 2017

Sounds like this is resolved. Thanks for letting us know.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right click on the JPG image in LR and select "Show in Finder/Explorer" to find out where LR thinks that file is located.

What exact version of LR are you using?

Did you use a card reader or did you connect the camera directly to the computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right clicking and selecting "show in Finder" takes me to the folder "tests" which is where I expect it to be. But the image in Group view is tagged with a explanation mark in the top RH corner. Pointing to this produces "Photo is missing" - even though Finder is showing both the RAW file and the JPEG as present.

To answer your questions:

I am using LR6

I connected the camera to the Mac with a cable. Putting the card in the SD card slot of the Mac would need me to put both cards in turn in.

Can I just clarify - I would prefer not to save a JPEG in the camera - it would be more elegant to just export from LR as JPEGs those photos (imported as NEF RAWs) I want to send attached to emails. BUT I need to keep the maximum size down to around 200K and LR tells me it can't do that when I try.

When I was using a Windows 7 laptop for my photo stuff I used Pixresizer to get my JPEGs down to 200K or indeed below 100K for a forum. Now that I have a Mac I wanted to use LR to do the work - it would be neater to do this - but maybe it can't?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can certainly resize the exported JPG from RAW NEF down to that size but you have to adjust the output quality along with pixel dimensions down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Just+Shoot+Me  wrote

You can certainly resize the exported JPG from RAW NEF down to that size but you have to adjust the output quality along with pixel dimensions down.

If you choose "Limit File Size", you cannot adjust quality, Lightroom automatically adjust quality to meet the size in KB and the size in PX.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, that's very helpful. I will need to experiment a bit to find the optimum settings to prepare JPEGs for emailing as attachments.

It still remains a mystery as to why LR can "see" a photo but tells me it is missing. Still, for my purposes it doesn't matter. If/when I get the resize facility to work as I want the problem will disappear.

Chaz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Preferences, under the General Tab, do you have "Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos" unchecked?  If you check this option, then the JPEG will be treated as a separate file by Lightroom and you should be able to edit it separately from the Raw. 

Screenshot 2017-05-29 09.53.18.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JoeKostoss  wrote

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Just+Shoot+Me   wrote

If you choose "Limit File Size", you cannot adjust quality, Lightroom automatically adjust quality to meet the size in KB and the size in PX.

It was Either - Or not both.

There are many ways to limit the file size of JPG exports.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the useful advice, guys. In fact I found that putting in a number of pixels on the long edge having checked resize gave me an effective control over the size of the JPEG file. Exporting from a RAW file of 27.2MB and setting the value to 800 pixels gave a file size of 55K, a value of 1000 gave a file size of 281K. these are very small photo files but do look OK on a monitor - I certainly wouldn't want to use them for printing etc.

I think my problem is solved and I have no need to generate JPEGs in the camera. I only wanted JPEGs from a few shots from each session and one from every shot would have been a messy solution.

Chaz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2017 May 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like this is resolved. Thanks for letting us know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 30, 2017 May 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No problem - seemed the right thing to do when you have all been so helpful.

Thanks again, guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

charlieh6415140  wrote

Can I just clarify - I would prefer not to save a JPEG in the camera - it would be more elegant to just export from LR as JPEGs those photos (imported as NEF RAWs) I want to send attached to emails. BUT I need to keep the maximum size down to around 200K and LR tells me it can't do that when I try.

When I was using a Windows 7 laptop for my photo stuff I used Pixresizer to get my JPEGs down to 200K or indeed below 100K for a forum. Now that I have a Mac I wanted to use LR to do the work - it would be neater to do this - but maybe it can't?

You need to reduce the pixel sizing of the image to something less than the original Raw file; try 1000 px for the long edge.  If the sizing is too high, as would be the case if "Resize to fit" is unchecked" the jpeg file, even at the lowest quality would be larger than 200K

Screenshot 2017-05-29 08.22.30.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why your JPG is showing as missing ... is the exclamation point icon inside a small square, as shown in Figures 1 and 2 of this document Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders , or is it inside a circle?

You should certainly be able to export a JPG under 200KB. If you set the Image Sizing area of the Export Dialog box to have a long edge of (for example) 1000 pixels and the quality slider at (for example) 60, you should be able to get your exports down to 200KB. (It's unclear to me why you have chosen 200KB as the size you want, that's usually not a meaningful thing to do ...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the exclamation mark is inside a small square. However if I can understand the resize facility I won't need to import JPEGs. I obviously need to do some further experiments.

As to why I need to reduce the file sizes - I use Yahoo to send emails and if photo attachments are too large it won't send them - just tells me to reduce 'em.

Chaz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, I did not know that Yahoo! mail has such an antiquated limit on attachment sizes. In that case, I see why you need it, and the instructions given here ought to get you there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Test this...

Within Lighroom select one of your RAW images > tap Export button > go to the File Settings box > Check Limit File Size to 200k > go to Post-Processing and select Show in Finder

If this produces the desired result there is no need to shoot jpg in camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines