5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2008 8:35 PM by Newsgroup_User

100% CPU needed

gibbogle
      My machine is a 1.8 GHz P4, running Windows 2K and Mozilla Firefox 3.0.3. I recently installed the latest Flash player for Mozilla. I am getting really crappy performance. For example, playing this MSNBC video clip:
      http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/06/olbermann-special-comment_n_132456.html
      takes 100% of the CPU. This is playing it after the download has completed. I can't play it in streaming mode because whenever the end of the buffer is reached the playback stops while more bytes are downloaded.
      Surely a simple video clip shouldn't need 100% of a P4?!
      Any suggestions?
      Gib
        • 1. Re: 100% CPU needed
          Level 7
          gibbogle wrote:
          > My machine is a 1.8 GHz P4, running Windows 2K and Mozilla Firefox 3.0.3. I
          > recently installed the latest Flash player for Mozilla. I am getting really
          > crappy performance. For example, playing this MSNBC video clip:
          >
          > http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/06/olbermann-special-comment_n_132456.html
          > takes 100% of the CPU. This is playing it after the download has completed.
          > I can't play it in streaming mode because whenever the end of the buffer is
          > reached the playback stops while more bytes are downloaded.
          > Surely a simple video clip shouldn't need 100% of a P4?!
          > Any suggestions?
          > Gib

Even tho the Adobe minimum recommended specs are 1Ghz processor or faster, 1.8 is considered
          rather slow especially when comes to full screen websites and video. I complain about some
          websites performance running 3.4ghz and 4gb rams, so imagine your CPU is really getting dated
          if you want to enjoy the latest websites and all the features it comes with. There really isn't
          any software solution for you, only hard ware upgrade will improve the performance.

--
          Best Regards

Urami

--
          "Never play Leap-Frog with a Unicorn."

<urami>
          If you want to mail me - DO NOT LAUGH AT MY ADDRESS
          </urami>
          • 2. Re: 100% CPU needed
            PCDctrMitch
            Hmmm. I have the same issue on one of my two identical laptops. Both are brand new Dell Latitude D830's with T9300's @ 2.50GHz and 2GB RAM. Flash runs beautifully on one and choppy on the other. The choppy one is draining the CPU. Both also have XP Pro SP3. The only difference between the two is the display resolution. The choppy one, oddly enough, has the lower resolution display (1680x1050). The other is 1920x1200. They even appear to have identical video adapters. I have tried the latest version of Flash and have tried three different versions of the video driver. I even upgraded the BIOS to no end. All other functions on the two laptops are comparable in speed. I am completely at a loss.
            • 3. Re: 100% CPU needed
              gibbogle Level 1
              This is not a full-screen video, it is a little thing, about 3"x2". There is no good reason why a video of this size should take 100% of a 1.8GHz CPU. The idea that I need to buy a new computer for this is ridiculous, IMO.
              • 4. Re: 100% CPU needed
                gibbogle Level 1
                Hi Mitch, it definitely looks as if there is a problem here.
                • 5. Re: 100% CPU needed
                  Level 7
                  gibbogle wrote:
                  > This is not a full-screen video, it is a little thing, about 3"x2". There is
                  > no good reason why a video of this size should take 100% of a 1.8GHz CPU. The
                  > idea that I need to buy a new computer for this is ridiculous, IMO.
                  >
                  Well, you will find yourself shortly to have worse and worse experience exploring flash
                  content online. Larger player, more and more full screen content, bigger videos are coming
                  on already... You think I like that? But true is the content become bigger and more intensive
                  on CPU, and if you don't upgrade every two or 3 years top, the experience is not there.
                  In your care, you already start seeing your hardware not being up to date and from here, it
                  doesn't not improve usually.

Flash 7 was around 100mb install, my new CS4 is slightly under 1GB, release just 2 years apart.

--
                  Best Regards

Urami

--
                  "Never play Leap-Frog with a Unicorn."

<urami>
                  If you want to mail me - DO NOT LAUGH AT MY ADDRESS
                  </urami>