• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save dialogue box file name field needs to be bigger

Explorer ,
May 29, 2017 May 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im currently using CC 2015 (so apologies if this has been fixed in a recent release) and my Photoshop workflow uses extremely long file names. These can look something like:

Client_Product_Product Descriptor_Size_Resolution_Compression.PSD

Or something similar - the above example is actually short compared to most of the file names I have. The problem is, the filename field where this is displayed in the Save As dialogue box is ridiculously small compared to the size of the window it sits in. Why is this so, when the field could easily be widened to fit the available width? See the below example...

File Dialogue Box.png

Does anyone have a workaround for this? Is it something that has been addressed in a later version?

Thanks.

p.s. the reason I am using CC2015 is that its a work computer, and "those in charge" have not allowed us the upgrade to the later version.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 29, 2017 May 29, 2017

I have OSX 10.12.4 and Photoshop CC 2017.1.1 That doesn't change the field size.

The File > Open/Save/Save As... dialogs are not part of the Adobe software, they are OSX system dialogs called up by Photoshop, and Adobe Systems has no control over what is called up. That is Apple's end. Adobe dialogs change from dark to light depending on the interface settings. The Save As dialog has the OSX System colors and controls.

Betalogue » ‘Save’ dialog in Mac OS X: Needs resizable ‘Save As:’ field  And th

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you thought of having shorter file names and using the document's metadata (File > File info) for some of this information?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2017 Jul 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the reply... unfortunately I cant change the way files are named at my workplace. There are quite a few PC users who rely on the filename details to find the right image. We also use EasyFind to track down files and folders and that app cant give metadata search results.

It seems to be an OSX issue, from what I have now read. So I guess the Adobe forums are not the ideal place to solve the issue.

Thanks for you help though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have OSX 10.12.4 and Photoshop CC 2017.1.1 That doesn't change the field size.

The File > Open/Save/Save As... dialogs are not part of the Adobe software, they are OSX system dialogs called up by Photoshop, and Adobe Systems has no control over what is called up. That is Apple's end. Adobe dialogs change from dark to light depending on the interface settings. The Save As dialog has the OSX System colors and controls.

Betalogue » ‘Save’ dialog in Mac OS X: Needs resizable ‘Save As:’ field  And this is from 2010.

So since you can't tinker with your work machine, I have an idea.

Install and use Bridge CC 2017. You can rename your files there and the filename field is much larger. You can even batch rename. It's a very useful tool and it is a free download since you are a CC subscriber.

Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 10.38.15 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines