5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2009 7:47 AM by Val_2009

Blurry Text using Fireworks CS3 version

Champ3708
      I'm creating an ad for use in our local phone book yellow pages using CS3 Fireworks. When I save it in .png or .jpg and print it out it is very blurry and unacceptable. I made the mistake of submitting an ad for something else thinking that the pros would be able to print it out and it would be clear - and it printed horrible. Why am I unable to print a clear .jpg file?
        • 1. Re: Blurry Text using Fireworks CS3 version
          pixlor Level 4
          What size are you making it in pixels and what is the printer's output resolution (dpi or ppi)?

• 2. Re: Blurry Text using Fireworks CS3 version
            Champ3708 Level 1
            My canvas size is 288 x 360 pixels; my font sizes range from 9 - 15; I have the print quality set to BEST on a HP5280 and the properties say the Max Resolution is 1200dpi. I'm really baffled that this would happen in such a high end software such as Fireworks CS3 version. How can anyone design anything using fonts if this happens.
            • 3. Re: Blurry Text using Fireworks CS3 version
              Level 7
              that's pretty tiny! what resolution is your document?
              incidentally fireworks is not an ideal choice for print work - even for
              a phone directory :)

you need something like 300ppi (dpi as it is in fireworks document) at
              the correct print dimensions (in cm/inches) or better still ask the
              people you're sending it to for the specs.

if it must be jpeg (rather than an uncompressed format such as tif) then
              choose the best quality setting (that includes the sharpen text
              option) and then raise the quality slider to 100% before exporting.

Champ3708 wrote:
              > My canvas size is 288 x 360 pixels; my font sizes range from 9 - 15; I have the
              > print quality set to BEST on a HP5280 and the properties say the Max Resolution
              > is 1200dpi. I'm really baffled that this would happen in such a high end
              > software such as Fireworks CS3 version. How can anyone design anything using
              > fonts if this happens.
              >
              • 4. Re: Blurry Text using Fireworks CS3 version
                pixlor Level 4
                quote:

Originally posted by: Champ3708
                My canvas size is 288 x 360 pixels; my font sizes range from 9 - 15; I have the print quality set to BEST on a HP5280 and the properties say the Max Resolution is 1200dpi. I'm really baffled that this would happen in such a high end software such as Fireworks CS3 version. How can anyone design anything using fonts if this happens.

Yep, it's a tiny image. At 1200 dpi a 300-pixel image would look good at about 1/4 inch. Maybe 1/2 inch, but it'll start to look kinda blurry. Your printer may not have the same resolution as the printer the phone book will be printed on, so you need to know the print shop's recommendations. Then, do some math. If you know the size in inches you want your advertisement to be, multiply those dimensions by the dpi to get the dimensions in pixels to make your Fireworks document. (Ignore the dpi settings in Fireworks.) You could possibly get by with something half as big, but you should ask the print shop for recommendations.

Better still is to use Illustrator or another vector drawing program and submit scalable art in .ai or .eps format. But, again, check with the print shop for guidelines.

• 5. Re: Blurry Text using Fireworks CS3 version
                  Val_2009

I was having this same issue (I was using size 9-12 fonts and they were coming out blurry on print, but looked fine on the computer). I resolved this problem by adjusting the image's resolution in Fireworks (not on the printer). My resolution was set somewhere around 70 ppi in Fireworks (the default); I grouped the entire image into one layer, copied it, and then created a new "image" (set the resolution to 300 ppi this time) and pasted the image onto this new 300 ppi page (choose to "Resample" so that the image resolution is now 300). The image size increased drastically in Fireworks (you may need to adjust your canvas size so that it matches the new image size), but it prints at the same size as it did previously - only it isn't blurry.

Hope this helps.