8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2008 8:56 AM by g-s-b

How would you do it

wkolcz Level 1
      I have an application that takes a login of a username and password. The app consists of a main Application and a number of modules and components. I would like to set the username and have it accessible throughout the application via a 'global' variable. What is the procedure to set it so all the modules and components can access it from the main Application?

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: How would you do it
          dietmar.paulus Level 1
          Hi

If you call Application.application you always have access to your main Application, also if you call this out of the modules.

So if you define a public variable in your main Application you can access this via Application.application.<your variable>.

cheers

dietmar
          • 2. Re: How would you do it
            wkolcz Level 1
            Would I have to set it as static?

So if after login I set:

private var username:String = "steve"

I can access it as Application.application.username?
            • 3. Re: How would you do it
              wkolcz Level 1
              Would I have to set it as static?

So if after login I set:

public var username:String = "steve"

I can access it as Application.application.username?
              • 4. Re: How would you do it
                dietmar.paulus Level 1
                I think yes you can access it like that, but just try it.

cheers

dietmar
                • 5. Re: How would you do it
                  Level 7

"projectproofing" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  news:gcfjbq$ae3$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  >I have an application that takes a login of a username and password. The
                  >app
                  > consists of a main Application and a number of modules and components. I
                  > would
                  > like to set the username and have it accessible throughout the application
                  > via
                  > a 'global' variable. What is the procedure to set it so all the modules
                  > and
                  > components can access it from the main Application?

Look at the Singleton design pattern.

• 6. Re: How would you do it
                    g-s-b Level 1
                    If you look at "best practices" I think you will find that "global" data elements like that are not good. Rather one should "get or put" a copy of the data where it is needed: events, bindings, etc.

And the "singleton" pattern itself seems "depreciated" these days.

These are mostly "design pattern decisions" implemented for "clean code" and "testing."

greg
                    • 7. How would you do it
                      wkolcz Level 1
                      If you look at "best practices" I think you will find that "global" data elements like that are not good. Rather one should "get or put" a copy of the data where it is needed: events, bindings, etc.

Sorry, that answer seems very good, but a little vague. Please explain or send me to an example of how this possible.

I am not sure if the Singleton design pattern is needed. I am not worried about multiple instances of a username variable in a single user application.

From my understanding is that is good put an instance of an object in a singleton to make it's functions accessible and ensuring only one instance.

I am more looking for a static variable that is global.
                      • 8. Re: How would you do it
                        g-s-b Level 1
                        If you must have "global" data elements you must decide on what is your liking.

Above Application.pplication.myDataElement will work fine.
                        A Class with data elements as static will also work.
                        And finally, as Amy said, a Singleton Class with public variables will also do.

Only one piece of data, user... I would suggest the as dietmar.paulus has, the Application.application public data variable.

It should get the job done although it is not pretty.

greg