1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 2, 2008 9:47 AM by Newsgroup_User

Search with results as you type...

MWGrace Level 1
      I am working on writing a search feature for an intranet application to search on records. We really would like to use some functioanlity like the Adobe.com website uses where it seems to search the database as you type each letter, showing you results real time as you search. Obviously I can write some javascript and CF code to run against the database as each letter is typed using a SQL Like statement. But Im concerned over performance as our DB grows. Are there other tactics I should think about other than just going this method? Something I should use instead to make it run faster and more efficiently.
        • 1. Re: Search with results as you type...
          Level 7
          Using autosuggest text input fields

http://livedocs.adobe.com/coldfusion/8/htmldocs/help.html?content=ajaxui_7.html#1126821

Like that?

--
          Ken Ford
          Adobe Community Expert Dreamweaver/ColdFusion
          Adobe Certified Expert - Dreamweaver CS3
          Adobe Certified Expert - ColdFusion 8
          Fordwebs, LLC
          http://www.fordwebs.com

"MWGrace" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gc2qr3$chs$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I am working on writing a search feature for an intranet application to
          >search
          > on records. We really would like to use some functioanlity like the
          > Adobe.com
          > website uses where it seems to search the database as you type each
          > letter,
          > showing you results real time as you search. Obviously I can write some
          > javascript and CF code to run against the database as each letter is typed
          > using a SQL Like statement. But Im concerned over performance as our DB
          > grows.
          > Are there other tactics I should think about other than just going this
          > method?
          > Something I should use instead to make it run faster and more efficiently.
          >