5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2008 4:44 AM by Newsgroup_User

Linking pages

phillychris Level 1
      Hello, all! Just a quick newbie question. I am using DWCS3. I don't know if it can be done, but my site is almost ready to go and I started linking the pages. My question is once you start linking your home pages to other pages in your site is there a way to recipicate the link so you don't have to go to each page and link the other pages in your site? Or do I have to go to each page in my site and set up the links?

Thanks!
      PhillyChris
        • 1. Re: Linking pages
          Level 7
          Sounds like you have started on the wrong foot. I create my menu/navigation
          to be exactly the same on every page. It always has links to every page in
          the site. Then, either using the menu in a Template, or as an include I make
          it part of every page. When I have to add a page I only have to add it to
          the menu once, either in the Template or the Include, depending on which
          method I used.

Does that help?

--

Walt

"phillychris" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gjbkfr$3pd$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hello, all! Just a quick newbie question. I am using DWCS3. I don't know
          > if it
          > can be done, but my site is almost ready to go and I started linking the
          > pages.
          > My question is once you start linking your home pages to other pages in
          > your
          > site is there a way to recipicate the link so you don't have to go to each
          > page
          > and link the other pages in your site? Or do I have to go to each page in
          > my
          > site and set up the links?
          >
          > Thanks!
          > PhillyChris
          >

• 2. Re: Linking pages
            Level 7
            If you had used Templates, Library items, or Server-side includes for your
            site, you'd only need to make your links once. If each page is a
            stand-alone page using none of those methods, then yes, you'll need to go to
            each page and set up the links. Imagine the horror when you add a new page
            to the menu! 8(

--
            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
            Adobe Community Expert
            (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
            ==================
            http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            ==================

news:gjbkfr$3pd$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Hello, all! Just a quick newbie question. I am using DWCS3. I don't know
            > if it
            > can be done, but my site is almost ready to go and I started linking the
            > pages.
            > My question is once you start linking your home pages to other pages in
            > your
            > site is there a way to recipicate the link so you don't have to go to each
            > page
            > and link the other pages in your site? Or do I have to go to each page in
            > my
            > site and set up the links?
            >
            > Thanks!
            > PhillyChris
            >

• 3. Re: Linking pages
              phillychris Level 1
              Ace & Walt:
              Yes, I have a template I used for a majority of pages. So I will have to set the links up in index and template pages. Thanks for the advice! By far, the 2 of you give everyone great advice!
              • 4. Re: Linking pages
                Level 7
                You're Welcome.

and...
                Thank You.

--

Walt

news:gjbumh$fq8$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Ace & Walt:
                > Yes, I have a template I used for a majority of pages. So I will have to
                > set
                > the links up in index and template pages. Thanks for the advice! By far,
                > the 2
                > of you give everyone great advice!
                >

• 5. Re: Linking pages
                  Level 7
                  I would still recommend you use server-side includes for your navigation
                  elements. It's not only a good exercise in expanding your reach, but it's
                  also a smart thing to do!

--
                  Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                  Adobe Community Expert
                  (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                  ==================
                  http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                  http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                  ==================

news:gjbumh$fq8$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Ace & Walt:
                  > Yes, I have a template I used for a majority of pages. So I will have to
                  > set
                  > the links up in index and template pages. Thanks for the advice! By far,
                  > the 2
                  > of you give everyone great advice!
                  >