3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2008 3:30 PM by dan_hin

Need Major Help

shariha
      Hello all my question is really 3 parts.

1 how do you add a drop shadow to a sprite there are two places I need drop shadows on buttons I'm trying to create and I can't figure it out.

2 Can anyone tell me - In the application I am trying to make buttons that some one can type info on an object where can I figure out how to do this

3 whats the best way to carry information through out the application?

Let me explain the application I am trying to make. It's a pet id tag simulator where a person will pick a tag then I will need them to select a color for that tag then type what info they want on the tag.

I hope someone can help and if you know some of the answers thats great.

Thank you very much
        • 1. Re: Need Major Help
          Level 7
          > 1 how do you add a drop shadow to a sprite there are two places I need drop
          > shadows on buttons I'm trying to create and I can't figure it out.

If you're using D11, you can add a Drop Shadow Filter to your sprite

> 2 Can anyone tell me - In the application I am trying to make buttons that
          > some one can type info on an object where can I figure out how to do this

I'm not sure what you're needing here. In general, in order to allow an
          end user to type info into your application you'd provide either a #text
          or #field sprite (set to editable) or a TextInput Flash component.

> 3 whats the best way to carry information through out the application?

Using a global variable is a commonly used option.
          • 2. Re: Need Major Help
            shariha Level 1
            I'm using director mx. it's not the newest version so any help is appreciated.

Also what I was trying to say is on the movie I want button cast members that look like a keyboard. When you press them then they will type whatever letter they pressed example a d button is on there and when they push the d button you see d go on the screen
            • 3. Re: Need Major Help
              dan_hin Level 1
              Wouldn't it be easier to get the users to type in the letters on the keyboard? I understand if you HAVE to do it for design reasons...but people have keyboards for a very good reason!!

essentially, you would have the text sprite = the textinputBox.text

for the drop shadow bit...well, i'd either use flash to make that particular sprite..if it needs to be animated...or else i'd use photoshop or fireworks (or the Gimp, which is free if you don't have the £$ for PS :)) to produce a graphic with a drop shadow filter applied, then import that into director. IMHO unless you have a good working knowledge of DIrector's imaging lingo, i would create all your graphics in an external application.

Cheers,
              Dan