3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2008 2:56 AM by Newsgroup_User

Dreamweaver CS3 to CS4 differences

Sawtooth500 Level 1
      So I'm talking about the properties window, the one you'd get on the bottom of your screen abutting to the left edge of your screen. In CS3 the HTML and CSS properties could all be viewed at the same time. Now, in CS4, I have to choose between the HTML or CSS properties. What drives me even more nuts, is for example say I click on some text in the design view, and the text is formatted with H1 tags. In CS3 I could click the center button and it would automatically add align="center" to the H1 tag. Now, it seems like it wants to modify a css property of the parent div of the given element, in this case it would be an H1 tag. And in my case, the parent element is in a locked part of a template, and I don't want to modify that. All I want is an easy way to add align="center" to the H1 tag only. This goes the same, say for something that I want bolded. In CS3, I just highlight my text in design view, high the B bold button, and it adds <strong> tags around the text. Now, it wants to modify a CSS element. How do I change it back to how it did it in CS3?
        • 1. Re: Dreamweaver CS3 to CS4 differences
          Level 7
          > All I want is an easy way to add align="center" to
          > the H1 tag only.

Change it in the code.

> How do I
          > change it back to how it did it in CS3?

Try selecting the text and using Ctrl-B.

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"Sawtooth500" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:giu8kk$5qt$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > So I'm talking about the properties window, the one you'd get on the
          > bottom of
          > your screen abutting to the left edge of your screen. In CS3 the HTML and
          > CSS
          > properties could all be viewed at the same time. Now, in CS4, I have to
          > choose
          > between the HTML or CSS properties. What drives me even more nuts, is for
          > example say I click on some text in the design view, and the text is
          > formatted
          > with H1 tags. In CS3 I could click the center button and it would
          > automatically
          > add align="center" to the H1 tag. Now, it seems like it wants to modify a
          > css
          > property of the parent div of the given element, in this case it would be
          > an H1
          > tag. And in my case, the parent element is in a locked part of a template,
          > and
          > I don't want to modify that. All I want is an easy way to add
          > align="center" to
          > the H1 tag only. This goes the same, say for something that I want bolded.
          > In
          > CS3, I just highlight my text in design view, high the B bold button, and
          > it
          > adds tags around the text. Now, it wants to modify a CSS element. How
          > do I
          > change it back to how it did it in CS3?
          >

• 2. Re: Dreamweaver CS3 to CS4 differences
            Knight240
            Yes but how can you do a simple centering of text in CS4? It now brings up a box for making classes and selectors just to center or bold the text.
            • 3. Re: Dreamweaver CS3 to CS4 differences
              Level 7
              Knight240 wrote:
              > Yes but how can you do a simple centering of text in CS4?

You create a class with the following rule:

.centered {
              text-align: center;
              }

You then apply that class to any text you want centered.

It now brings up a box for making classes and selectors just to center
              or bold the text.

The Property inspector is now split into two views: HTML and CSS. If you
              click the B button in HTML view, Dreamweaver CS4 inserts <strong> tags.
              If you click the same button in CSS view, it prompts you to create a
              style rule. Centering of text can be done only with a style rule.

Dreamweaver isn't making things more "difficult". It's teaching you to
              do things correctly.

--
              David Powers, Adobe Community Expert
              Author, "The Essential Guide to Dreamweaver CS4",
              "PHP Solutions" & "PHP Object-Oriented Solutions"
              http://foundationphp.com/