3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2009 3:57 PM by Newsgroup_User

Disable Authoring keyboard shortcuts while movie is running

Level 7
      I need to find a way to disable Director's (MX04) keyboard shortcuts when
      the movie is running in authoring mode. Several of them can be pretty
      disastrous if you accidentally hit them while testing. (And please don't
      say "Do all your testing from a projector". That's a real hassle and
      completely lacking in debugging features, so it's not an option in this
      case.) In particular, I'd like to disable the CTRL-ARROW key shortcuts.
      Actually, I'd like to disable those across the board. I never use them even
      when the movie isn't running. The game I'm working on uses the arrow keys
      heavily, and certain functions operate with the CTRL key, and if I slip and
      hit both at once, it can really screw things up. (Adding/deleting frames,
      or swapping the sprite around on the score. Frankly, I can't understand why
      anyone would ever want to be able to do that *while* the movie is currently
      running. It's a pretty sure way to mess yourself up but good. And with
      Director's one-undo limitation, if you slip up twice without noticing it, it
      can be a real chore to fix it.) I'd also like to be able to use the F-Keys
      in authoring mode, though I can live without those.

• 1. Re: Disable Authoring keyboard shortcuts while movie is running
          Level 7
          Why not install Winamp with Global Hotkeys ?
          hen you can ask Winamp to capture certain keyboard shortcuts prior they
          reach Director...

Just an idea...

Rgs,
          Ziggi
          • 2. Re: Disable Authoring keyboard shortcuts while movie is running
            johnAq
            I think you can do this by creating a custom menu using the ancient 'installMenu' command

hth

johnAq
            • 3. Re: Disable Authoring keyboard shortcuts while movie is running
              Level 7
              >I think you can do this by creating a custom menu using the ancient
              >'installMenu' command

That works fine for the letter keys, and possibly the numbers as well, but
              the really important ones are the arrow keys, which I don't think can be
              done with installMenu. I'm actually using installMenu, which is part of the
              problem - using Ctrl-commands from the menu while trying to control the game
              with the arrow keys at the same time is what causes the problem. Even if I
              were using some other method for the Ctrl-commands, I'd have the same
              problem, so it doesn't matter that the feature is old and dated. I suppose
              if I coded the commands manually and used Shift or Alt instead, I'd be less
              likely to run into trouble, but then I'd also have to design all my
              game-menus the hard way rather than using this feature. (Really wish they'd
              update it, it's been unchanged since at least Dir 4 when I started using
              this - some people still use it, and it's nice to be able to instantly make
              menus that look like the standard OS menus people are familiar with.)