4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2008 12:57 PM by Nadav_A

Problem installing Air on XP

Nadav_A
      I've read some of the posts in the forum related to installation problems, but could not find one that answered my problem.
      I'm just starting to develop in AIR, I have the SDK and using Adobe Flash. I can create Air applications and run them from the Flash IDE, but I was not able to install the regular Air player/plugin. (I want to use the "Badger" app to package my own...)

I tried a direct install from the website, installing from command line, and also installing through the dialog that pops up when I install an Aid application. Whenever I click on the installer, nothing happens, no error, or anything.
      When I try to install an air app, it now moves to attempting to install (the app, not Air itself), but then freezes once I approve the installation path.

I checked in the add/remove programs interface, and Air is not there. I also checked for the registry value mentioned earlier, nothing.
      If it helps, I have Windows XP, multiple Adobe products installed, Air SDK.

Any help would be appreciated!
      Nadav
        • 1. Re: Problem installing Air on XP
          tzeng Adobe Employee
          You need to install AIR Runtime to be able to install your AIR app.

-ted
          • 2. Re: Problem installing Air on XP
            Nadav_A Level 1
            I know that. My errors are in installing the Air runtime, and I've tried any way I could think of.
            Also, I saw some other comments with installation problems mention an installation log file, but mine does not generate anything. I simply click on AdobeAIRInstaller.exe and nothing happens. From command line, windows explorer, or the web download.
            • 3. Re: Problem installing Air on XP
              tzeng Adobe Employee
              To generate the AIR Runtime installation log, you need to create a file named .airinstall.log in your home directory.

You can read more details here:
              http://blogs.adobe.com/simplicity/install_update/

-ted
              • 4. Re: Problem installing Air on XP
                Nadav_A Level 1
                Thanks! Didn't know about this method.

The log says:
                Performing runtime install
                UI SWF load is complete
                UI initialized
                starting user confirmation
                Installation type: new

At this point the process halts and I have to terminate it in order to get access to the log file.

Also, I checked my Windows Task Manager:
                I have 2 processes created when I click on AdobeAIRInstaller.exe.
                AdobeAIRInstaller.exe. Mem Usage - 3,888K
                Adobe AIR Installer.exe. Mem Usage - 28.984K
                Both remain in memory but seem to be idling (taking up no CPU cycles).

Would this information by any chance help debug what is going wrong?
                Thanks again!
                Nadav