19 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2006 2:42 AM by Baz J

Apache Friends

Baz J Level 1
      Hi People

I have instaled Apache Friends to use as a testing server on Windows XP but have no idea how to set up Dreamweaver to use it. Where is the root folder? and how do i set up and store my files in order to test them dynamicly.

Regards Baz
        • 1. Re: Apache Friends
          Level 7
          The root folder is where your files are stored on your hard drive, and also
          corresponds to the root of your website eg http://www.mysite.com/.

If your testing localy, then the root folder in Dreamweaver is the folder in
          your apache configuration that it serves files from.

--
          Gareth
          http://www.phploginsuite.co.uk/
          PHP Login Suite V2 - 34 Server Behaviors to build a complete Login system.

• 2. Re: Apache Friends
            Baz J Level 1
            Hi
            So if i have a folder named www in which i store my files on my server, www.mysite.co.uk would be the testing server?

Also how do i find out which folder apache serves it's files from?

I guess i am trying to run a testing server localy or remotely. I don't care which way as long as i can test dynamicly.

• 3. Re: Apache Friends
              Level 7
              Baz J wrote:
              > So if i have a folder named www in which i store my files on my server,
              > www.mysite.co.uk would be the testing server?

No.

> Also how do i find out which folder apache serves it's files from?

With a standard Apache installation on Windows, it's C:\Program
              Files\Apache Group\Apache2\htdocs. However, you have chosen a
              non-standard installation of Apache. Read the XAMPP installation
              instructions. It should tell you in there.

--
              David Powers
              Author, "Foundation PHP for Dreamweaver 8" (friends of ED)
              Author, "Foundation PHP 5 for Flash" (friends of ED)
              http://foundationphp.com/
              • 4. Re: Apache Friends
                Baz J Level 1
                Hi David,
                I think i am going to give Apache Friends a miss ( due to lack of installation
                instructions) and opt for a standard version. Could you point me in the right direction.

Regards Baz
                • 5. Re: Apache Friends
                  Level 7
                  On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 11:04:46 +0000 (UTC), "Baz J"
                  <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

>I think i am going to give Apache Friends a miss ( due to lack of installation
                  >instructions) and opt for a standard version. Could you point me in the right direction.

How about http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi

Look for Win32 Binary (MSI Installer).

Gary
                  • 6. Re: Apache Friends
                    Level 7

"Baz J" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                    news:e1vsoe$dsm$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > Hi David,
                    > I think i am going to give Apache Friends a miss ( due to lack of
                    > installation
                    > instructions) and opt for a standard version. Could you point me in the
                    > right direction.
                    >

It's been my experience that the Apache friends version is the easiest to
                    install and configure. If you are having problems with that, I would not
                    attempt a manual installation of PHP, Apache, and MySQL. You will be in over
                    your head.

There are pretty detailed directions at
                    http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html

The web directory is htdocs ( c:\apachefriends\xampp\htdocs)

>I have instaled Apache Friends to use as a testing server on Windows XP but
                    have no idea how to set up Dreamweaver to use it. Where is the root folder?
                    and how do i set up and store my files in order to test them dynamicly.

Local Root Folder: c:\apachefriends\xampp\htdocs\
                    Testing server folder: c:\apachefriends\xampp\htdocs\
                    URL Prefix: http://localhost/

Note that if you are on XP Pro and have IIS running, you will not be able to
                    run the default install of XAMPP or any other version of Apache because IIS
                    already uses port 80. Two web servers cannot use the same port. Turn off IIS
                    to use another web server (Administration Tools > Services or from a command
                    line Net stop "World wide web publishing service"), or change the port in
                    IIS or Apache (search Google for instructions).

--
                    Tom Muck
                    co-author Dreamweaver MX 2004: The Complete Reference
                    http://www.tom-muck.com/

Cartweaver Development Team
                    http://www.cartweaver.com

Extending Knowledge Daily
                    http://www.communitymx.com/

• 7. Re: Apache Friends
                      Level 7
                      Tom Muck wrote:
                      > It's been my experience that the Apache friends version is the easiest to
                      > install and configure. If you are having problems with that, I would not
                      > attempt a manual installation of PHP, Apache, and MySQL. You will be in over
                      > your head.

Manual installation isn't all that difficult, as long as you've got a
                      decent set of instructions. Although that might sound like a shameless
                      plug for my book, the truth is that Apache and MySQL come with Windows
                      installers, and MySQL Windows Essentials also does all the configuration
                      for you. The "hard" bit is getting PHP working with Apache. All it
                      involves is making a couple of minor changes to two text files.

While it may be convenient to have these all-in-one packages, it's a
                      myth that manual installation is fraught with difficulties. Anyone who
                      finds it difficult to edit a couple of text files is going to have a lot
                      more difficulty coping with the mysteries of SQL and database design.

--
                      David Powers
                      • 8. Re: Apache Friends
                        Level 7
                        > Manual installation isn't all that difficult, as long as you've got a
                        > decent set of instructions. Although that might sound like a shameless
                        > plug for my book, the truth is that Apache and MySQL come with Windows
                        > installers, and MySQL Windows Essentials also does all the configuration
                        > for you. The "hard" bit is getting PHP working with Apache. All it
                        > involves is making a couple of minor changes to two text files.

I disagree. I think it is very hard for someone unfamiliar with servers and
                        ports. Most support emails I get deal with setup problems of PHP. Especially
                        if they are trying to use IIS, or don't know if they have IIS, or don't know
                        which Apache version to use, or whether to use PHP 4 or 5, or how to make
                        PHP 5 work with MySQL 3.23 or 4, etc etc.

Tom

• 9. Re: Apache Friends
                          Level 7
                          Tom Muck wrote:
                          > I disagree. I think it is very hard for someone unfamiliar with servers and
                          > ports.

As I said, it basically comes down to having a decent set of
                          instructions. It's not rocket science. What I find interesting is
                          visiting the Apache Friends forum. It's full of pleas for help from
                          people who have run into difficulties. Although there's no need to
                          become an expert server administrator, it is necessary to understand the
                          relationship between the web server, PHP, and MySQL.

I provide a lot of online support in the Apress and friends of ED
                          forums. Very few problems I have to deal with there are caused by
                          installation issues, whereas never a day goes by in this or the appdev
                          forum without questions about how to sort out installation or connection
                          to the database. It doesn't matter how easy installation is if you don't
                          know how to use it.

--
                          David Powers
                          • 10. Re: Apache Friends
                            Baz J Level 1
                            Yep i found Apache Friends easy to install but cannot find a decent set of instructions on how to use it. The page Tom has directed me to is a FAQ Page but doesn't answer the questions i have so thats no good to me. I also note that if i install seperate Apache Mysql and PHP a lot more people have the answers i need. I do not want to get into databases just yet i just need to test php scripts localy. If i could find a tutor near me i would pay a couple of hundred pounds just to get me started. Thanks Gary, David and Tom.
                            • 11. Re: Apache Friends
                              Level 7

"Baz J" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                              news:e20jm3$bn1$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                              > Yep i found Apache Friends easy to install but cannot find a decent set of
                              > instructions on how to use it. The page Tom has directed me to is a FAQ
                              > Page
                              > but doesn't answer the questions i have so thats no good to me. I also
                              > note
                              > that if i install seperate Apache Mysql and PHP a lot more people have the
                              > answers i need. I do not want to get into databases just yet i just need
                              > to
                              > test php scripts localy. If i could find a tutor near me i would pay a
                              > couple
                              > of hundred pounds just to get me started. Thanks Gary, David and Tom.
                              >

What questions do you have that were not answered?

Tom

• 12. Re: Apache Friends
                                Level 7
                                Baz J wrote:
                                > Yep i found Apache Friends easy to install but cannot find a decent set of
                                > instructions on how to use it. The page Tom has directed me to is a FAQ Page
                                > but doesn't answer the questions i have so thats no good to me. I also note
                                > that if i install seperate Apache Mysql and PHP a lot more people have the
                                > answers i need. I do not want to get into databases just yet i just need to
                                > test php scripts localy. If i could find a tutor near me i would pay a couple
                                > of hundred pounds just to get me started. Thanks Gary, David and Tom.

Hiring a tutor is what I call common sense. I never have, but if I could
                                do it all over again, I would definitely hire someone to help me set up
                                Apache, PHP and MySQL, create virtual servers and a database and publish
                                some samples online. As David Powers said, it isn't rocket science, but
                                it can be one Hell of a wrestling match, and a tutor could probably
                                teach you in a few hours what it would normally take weeks or even
                                months to accomplish.

I use ApacheFriends myself. I found it relatively easy to install,
                                though I had to install it several times before I got it right. I can't
                                remember if my latest is a standard installation or if I tinkered with
                                it, but this is what I've got...

First, my websites are in a folder on the C drive named "sites." For
                                example, my website Geobop is in this folder:

C:/sites/Geobop

And I can preview the home page at...

C:/sites/Geobop/index.php

I also installed ApacheFriends on the C drive:

C:/apachefriends/

Here are the locations of some key folders:

C:/apachefriends/xampp/apache
                                C:/apachefriends/xampp/htdocs
                                C:/apachefriends/xampp/php

To create virtual servers for testing my websites, I modified the
                                following file:

C:/apachefriends/xampp/apache/conf/httpd

I added the following to set up the websites c:\sites\Geobop and
                                c:\sites\DB:

NameVirtualHost *:80

<VirtualHost *:80>
                                ServerName geobop
                                ServerAlias geobop *.geobop
                                DocumentRoot c:\sites\geobop
                                </VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:80>
                                ServerName david
                                ServerAlias db *.db
                                DocumentRoot c:\sites\db
                                </VirtualHost>

(Apparently, they aren't case sensitive.)

Then I navigated to the following file:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

I opened the file with Notepad and added the following lines of code:

127.0.0.1 localhost
                                127.0.0.1 DB
                                127.0.0.1 Geobop

Actually, I have a couple dozen websites logged in, following the same
                                pattern - 127.0.0.1, followed by the name of a folder in my "sites" folder.

You have to restart your computer before it takes effect. Then you could
                                preview the home page of Geobop at http://Geobop, rather than
                                C:/sites/Geobop/index.php

But you have to get your Apache server up and running first. That was
                                one of the most confusing tasks, as I recall.
                                • 13. Re: Apache Friends
                                  Baz J Level 1
                                  Thanks for that info David B, I think you just about answerd all of my questions. I will try it your route and if that don't work i'm going to give in gracefully. It's harder to find a tutor around these parts than it is to work it out for my self.

Regards Baz
                                  • 14. Re: Apache Friends
                                    Level 7
                                    David Blomstrom wrote:
                                    > Hiring a tutor is what I call common sense. I never have, but if I could
                                    > do it all over again, I would definitely hire someone to help me set up
                                    > Apache, PHP and MySQL, create virtual servers and a database and publish
                                    > some samples online. As David Powers said, it isn't rocket science, but
                                    > it can be one Hell of a wrestling match, and a tutor could probably
                                    > teach you in a few hours what it would normally take weeks or even
                                    > months to accomplish.

I doubt it. There is a lot to learn when working with any server-side
                                    language. Unfortunately, too many people have the expectation that you
                                    can just sit down and everything magically falls into place. A tutor may
                                    get you up and running quickly, but so does XAMPP.

It's understanding how the various bits fit together that takes time. Of
                                    course, a good tutor would also push you in the right direction as far
                                    as that's concerned, but the subject is so vast, it eventually comes
                                    down to your own ability to RTFM.

--
                                    David Powers
                                    • 15. Re: Apache Friends
                                      Baz J Level 1
                                      Thanks People, I’ve cracked it.
                                      (woopeeeeeeeee)
                                      • 16. Re: Apache Friends
                                        Level 7
                                        David Powers wrote:
                                        > David Blomstrom wrote:
                                        >> Hiring a tutor is what I call common sense. I never have, but if I
                                        >> could do it all over again, I would definitely hire someone to help me
                                        >> set up Apache, PHP and MySQL, create virtual servers and a database
                                        >> and publish some samples online. As David Powers said, it isn't rocket
                                        >> science, but it can be one Hell of a wrestling match, and a tutor
                                        >> could probably teach you in a few hours what it would normally take
                                        >> weeks or even months to accomplish.
                                        >
                                        > I doubt it. There is a lot to learn when working with any server-side
                                        > language. Unfortunately, too many people have the expectation that you
                                        > can just sit down and everything magically falls into place. A tutor may
                                        > get you up and running quickly, but so does XAMPP.
                                        >
                                        > It's understanding how the various bits fit together that takes time. Of
                                        > course, a good tutor would also push you in the right direction as far
                                        > as that's concerned, but the subject is so vast, it eventually comes
                                        > down to your own ability to RTFM.
                                        >

I can spend hours and even days trying to figure something out with the
                                        help of a forum, or I can hire a tutor who can do it in minutes. Either
                                        way, I wind up with a script that I can then analyze, modify and replicate.

Obviously, few of us can afford to hire full-time tutors, so it's
                                        therefore important to learn how some of these things work, as you say.
                                        But there's nothing wrong with hiring a tutor to help you get over the
                                        primary obstacles, which are considerable.

Imagine a tutor coming into your home and installing and tweaking your
                                        software correctly, creating virtual private servers, creating a
                                        database, logging into your C-Panel and publishing your website and
                                        database online...with you taking notes during the process.

It ultimately boils down to how much time and money you have, and which
                                        you value more (or which is worth more). Now that I'm once again
                                        employed, tutors are looking more attractive again.
                                        • 17. Re: Apache Friends
                                          Level 7
                                          David Blomstrom wrote:
                                          > But there's nothing wrong with hiring a tutor to help you get over the
                                          > primary obstacles, which are considerable.

There's certainly nothing wrong with hiring a tutor, but I would
                                          question whether the primary obstacles are as considerable as you (and
                                          many others) make out. Unfortunately, there is an expectation that
                                          everything will just work "out of the box", and that you can be making
                                          sophisticated database-driven sites in minutes.

> Imagine a tutor coming into your home and installing and tweaking your
                                          > software correctly, creating virtual private servers, creating a
                                          > database, logging into your C-Panel and publishing your website and
                                          > database online...with you taking notes during the process.

It sounds very attractive, but a little knowledge can be a dangerous
                                          thing. Unless you know why the tutor is doing something, your notes,
                                          however good, could lead you astray in different circumstances.

> It ultimately boils down to how much time and money you have, and which
                                          > you value more (or which is worth more). Now that I'm once again
                                          > employed, tutors are looking more attractive again.

Time and money are certainly factors, but the most important factor
                                          missing from your scenario is an aptitude and willingness to learn. Two
                                          other important factors are the quality of the instructor and good
                                          reference material. Sadly, a lot of computer books are very badly
                                          written. My original involvement in computer book publishing was purely
                                          as a technical reviewer, but I was so appalled at the quality of a lot
                                          of material I was asked to comment on, I decided to start writing instead.

Anyway, congratulations on being back in employment.

--
                                          David Powers
                                          • 18. Re: Apache Friends
                                            RJ_web Level 1

David,
                                            I have read your last book on dreamweaver 8 php, and found it very well layed out to setting up the test server, just a suggestion i thought some day when i have time, taking all the steps now in the book chapters, and putting in one document, thx
                                            • 19. Re: Apache Friends
                                              Baz J Level 1
                                              Hi People,

Just an update for anyone having trouble setting up a testing server on Windows XP. I just found this site with step by step instructions to set up Apache2, PHP5, MySQL4 and PHPmyAdmin. It took about 10 munites. (fantastic)

Here's the URL

http://www.webmasterstop.com/86.html