• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Screen tips - copy and paste help

Oct 22, 2008 Oct 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I'm new to RoboHelp and I'm hoping someone can help. I'm creating links to bookmarks so I can link in-text references to the reference section of my document. I'm using insert>hyperlink to do this and it works just as I want, and the screen-tip pop-up appears when I hover over the link. The problem I'm having is this: if I don't insert any text into the screen-tip field it appears as a very wide box (my references are quite long). I can get around this by copying the text and pasting it into the screen-tip field, but this only pastes some of the text I copied, i.e it copies as far as a "line break" and will then only paste that far. I've checked the original source word file and there are no problems there, i.e. no formatting issues. I could copy and paste each "bit" at a time but I'm working on an electronic version of a textbook that contains hundreds of references so I'd rather not have to do that.

Any ideas why RoboHelp is adding these line breaks to my document? Is there a limit to the number of characters that can be copied?

Thanks, in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi cp550 and welcome to the RH community.

Tooltips are designed for short phrases and there is a limit on the number of characters they can have - sorry I don't know what that is (255 rings a bell) - so I suspect this is what you are up against. Could you handle the links by saying "Click here to...." with "here" being the hyperlink to the reference section.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the speedy reply.

I don't think the problem is the number of characters that can appear in the tooltip, as I'm having no problem with putting in as long a reference as I need. My problem is the actual cutting from the RH "document". If I try to cut a relatively short piece of text from RH, <100 characters say, and then paste it into word (which I did to check that there wasn't any weird formatting), I get a line break at between 80-90 characters and always on a complete word, i.e. it doesn't break in the middle of the word.

I was hoping for some solution that would allow me to copy a reference from one part of my RH file and then paste the whole thing in to my tooltip, but if this is not solveable then I'll just have to build in some extra time to my project.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
You should not be using Word for this, because the form field for the tooltip is balking at the line break (Word ignores it and wraps the text, but RH is interpreting an actual line break).

Instead, paste the entire string into Notepad, toggle off "Word Wrap," and then ensure that all of it is on one line. Copy that and paste it onto the tooltip field.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp