4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2008 4:31 PM by HannaB

Flash won't run smoothly

HannaB
      Hi, I've created a short into flash for a website-to-be but it pauses and doesn't run smooth when uploaded to the site. The flash movie is only 600 kb. What can I do to fix this?

http://www.highmarkdesigns.com/Proofing/worldfamous/animation/intro.html
        • 1. Re: Flash won't run smoothly
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          I didn't notice any pause or jerkiness in what you linked. If the swf is 600 KB, you may be well off using a preloader. You may want to try Save and Compact if you haven't yet to see if that brings the file size down.

I don't see why it would be that large though, unless that's an image of the person... it shouldn't have to be with the little detail it has. If this was a Flash drawn piece I would guess it to be well under 20KB, even below 10KB.
          • 2. Re: Flash won't run smoothly
            HannaB Level 1
            Hi Ned, thanks for your response. It is not a flash drawn movie. All pieces are imported as .jpgs. How do I do Save and Compact? I tried but nothing happens and it doesn't generate a new file or anything.

Hanna
            • 3. Re: Flash won't run smoothly
              Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              Hi Hanna,

The Save and Compact is an option right under the Save option. It removes any memory of changes made and objects that no longer exist. But if everything in that piece is a jpeg, that's not likely to change it much.

Based on the visual quality of the jpegs, I'd say they are probably high KB pieces... GIF's would be more appropriate and would probably provide some file size savings. jpgs are better for images with lots of colors and shades. GIFs are better for images with limited colors and large color areas like in that piece.

Is the 600KB all involved with just that one scene? If so, I personally would redraw it all in Flash, just for the KB savings, but that's me. As I said, the amount of graphics there would amount to next to nothing as Flash drawn graphics.
              • 4. Re: Flash won't run smoothly
                HannaB Level 1
                Hi Ned, I redid the animation in Flash as much as possible and used gif instead when necessary. I got it down to 176 kb and now it's running smooth. Thanks!
                http://www.highmarkdesigns.com/Proofing/worldfamous/animation/intro2.html