2 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2008 9:23 AM by Newsgroup_User

Editable Regions

webAdore
      Hi All

I've been using contribute to allow users to edit my websites for a while. As the websites were developed before using contribute editable regions were not set. I usually clicked 'Only allow text editing and formatting' in Contribute 'Edit role Settings' to stop users editing navigation bars, headings etc.

I would like to redevelop one of my sites so have been experimenting by creating a template, adding editable regions then saving as a .htm and publishing.

When I open the page in Contribute all the EditRegions are clearly marked but I can still edit anything on the page.

I've had a look at the code and all the parts I want to allow editing are wrapped with:

<!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="EditRegion1" -->
      my code
      <!-- TemplateEndEditable -->

any ideas what I'm doing wrong. Do you have to set something in 'Edit role settings' perhaps?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Mike
        • 1. Re: Editable Regions
          webAdore Level 1
          well - I can answer this myself after looking in to further (might be of use to anyone new to this).

all you need to do to make the non-editable regions work is select File > New then click the Templates tab and select the templates for.. Site (i.e. the Template you just created) then click Create. This creates a new Untitled document with you can then save as an .html. When you open this in Contribute the editable AND the non-editable regions work as they should.
          • 2. Re: Editable Regions
            Level 7

> all you need to do to make the non-editable regions work is select File > New
            > then click the Templates tab and select the templates for.. Site (i.e. the
            > Template you just created) then click Create.

Yes. What you were doing before in dreamweaver was opening the template file
            and doing File->Save As
            That does not create a proper "child" file of the template, but a copy of
            the template that will not behave like a proper child file.

--
            Alan
            Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/