3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2008 7:28 AM by Newsgroup_User

Best container advice?

garry.b
      Hi,

I'm using the RichTextEditor's ToolBar container to layout components
      horizontally and, when out of room, wrap to the next row. I'm not using a Tile
      layout because my components are not all the same size. However, ToolBar is
      not a standard component and I'm wondering if there's a better Flex container
      for the job.

Thanks, Garry
        • 1. Re: Best container advice?
          -Hob Level 1
          Check out the FlowBox component. It's part of FlexLib: http://code.google.com/p/flexlib/
          • 2. Re: Best container advice?
            garry.b Level 1
            Hob,

Was using FlexLib's FlowBox but it's got a problem with vertical growth:
            children layout nicely in a horizontal direction but for each child that's
            added, the FlowBox also adds empty *vertical* space. I end up with a
            horizontal row of children at the top of the box and a bunch of empty
            vertical space below. Looks like a bug to me.

If you're a Flex expert and recommending flexlib, then perhaps ToolBar
            is a good Flex choice for what I need. Is there an alternative Flex
            container you can suggest?

Thanks, Garry
            • 3. Re: Best container advice?
              Level 7

"GarryBrother" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:gdkoip$j27$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Hob,
              >
              > Was using FlexLib's FlowBox but it's got a problem with vertical growth:
              > children layout nicely in a horizontal direction but for each child that's
              > added, the FlowBox also adds empty *vertical* space. I end up with a
              > horizontal row of children at the top of the box and a bunch of empty
              > vertical space below. Looks like a bug to me.
              >
              > If you're a Flex expert and recommending flexlib, then perhaps ToolBar
              > is a good Flex choice for what I need. Is there an alternative Flex
              > container you can suggest?

You could possibly look at the code for Legend.