14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2008 7:33 PM by abeall

.air file donwload says: invalid ZIP archive signature

abeall Level 3
      After being unable to get the Install Badge to work, I provided a direct link to the AIR installation and my .air file to the client. They are reporting that they are unable to download the .air file because it says something along the lines that "the ZIP archive signature is invalid or corrupt". What do I do?
        • 1. Re: .air file donwload says: invalid ZIP archive signature
          tzeng Adobe Employee
          You need to provide more information on how you do this.
          Do you put your .air file in a webserver? FTP?

It looks like your clients could not download the .air file correctly.

-ted
          • 2. Re: .air file donwload says: invalid ZIP archive signature
            abeall Level 3
            Thanks for the response,

I create the .air package with Flash CS3. I upload to a server using SFTP. I am able to get both the Install Badge and manual download and installation to work on all machines I've tested. I believe the client is using IE, and that they are on some sort of network that could be more strict.

I can provide a link to the application installation page via PM if you want. Thanks.
            • 3. Re: .air file donwload says: invalid ZIP archive signature
              tzeng Adobe Employee
              You need to work with your clients to figure out what happens.
              They might try to use Firefox to download instead of IE?

One thing you might want to do is setting the MIME type for AIR files in your web server. There is details here:
              http://www.mikechambers.com/blog/2007/03/18/setting-the-mime-type-in-your-web-server-for-a pollo-applications/

-ted
              • 4. Re: .air file donwload says: invalid ZIP archive signature
                abeall Level 3
                I've been on a few calls with this client and they are most definitely on a very locked down network (specifically a Hospital network.) I was able to have their IT completely unblock downloads to the client's system, which allowed the AIR installer and .air file to be downloaded (I did not change the .air file at all.) However, the client is currently unable to install the AIR Runtime due to a generic "error occured, contact your administrator" type message. I've sent the client to their IT again for help, and hope they will be able to install the application.

Now my question: after it's installed, do I have any hope of the application actually working? The application does the following:
                1. Connect to internet service
                2. Authenticate with PHP session cookies
                3. Download XML
                4. Download binary files
                5. Write binary files to applicationStorageDirectory
                6. Save data to EncryptedLocalStore
                7. On occasion, copy files from applicationStorageDirectory to user specified director
                8. Drag and drop, system clipboard, etc

Any hope of that working?
                • 5. Re: .air file donwload says: invalid ZIP archive signature
                  tzeng Adobe Employee
                  Does the client uses XP?
                  Is your client logged in as Admin?

The best to do is getting the AIR Runtime installation log.

-ted
                  • 6. Re: .air file donwload says: invalid ZIP archive signature
                    tzeng Adobe Employee
                    Hard to answer your questions. If your app. can do those tasks on your machine, and your client's machine has connection to internet, then it should work for your client too.

-ted
                    • 7. Re: .air file donwload says: invalid ZIP archive signature
                      abeall Level 3
                      > Does the client uses XP?
                      I believe so.

> Is your client logged in as Admin?
                      I tried to figure this out and it sounded like they are not.

> The best to do is getting the AIR Runtime installation log.
                      Where can I find this?

Thanks.
                      • 8. Re: .air file donwload says: invalid ZIP archive signature
                        tzeng Adobe Employee
                        You can find the info. for installation log here:
                        http://blogs.adobe.com/simplicity/install_update/

Mainly, you need to create a file .airappinstall.log on your home directory.
                        This is the best way to find out why installation doesn't work.

I believe on XP, you need to log in as Admin to install AIR apps.

-ted
                        • 9. Re: .air file donwload says: invalid ZIP archive signature
                          abeall Level 3
                          This is the contents of the clients install log file:

Performing runtime install
                          UI SWF load is complete
                          UI initialized
                          starting user confirmation
                          Installation type: new
                          starting install
                          Scheduling runtime installation operations
                          Installed Product GUID: is same:false
                          Beginning runtime installation
                          Beginning install
                          Installing c:\docume~1\abbeys~1.dmh\locals~1\temp\airf4.tmp\setup.msi
                          Error occurred; beginning rollback: [ErrorEvent type="error" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="1603" errorID=0]
                          Rolling back install of c:\docume~1\abbeys~1.dmh\locals~1\temp\airf4.tmp\setup.msi
                          Rollback due to error complete
                          error during install: [ErrorEvent type="error" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="1603" errorID=0]
                          runtime install entering error state: [ErrorEvent type="error" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="1603" errorID=0]
                          begin quitting
                          error in stateQuitting: [ErrorEvent type="error" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="Unhandled exception TypeError: Error #1009" errorID=1009]

What does that mean?

I talked to the client's IT and they says "all restrictions have been removed, it's not on our end" but I'm not confident this is really true.

IT tried to install as an admin.

Thanks for your help.
                          • 10. Re: .air file donwload says: invalid ZIP archive signature
                            abeall Level 3
                            On further inspection it sounds like the client does not have an administrative user account. This makes me doubt that their IT actually attempted to install the .air file as an administrator like they implied. Even if they did manage to install as an administrator, would the application be available to other users on the machine? If not, then I think the client is out of luck.
                            • 11. Re: .air file donwload says: invalid ZIP archive signature
                              tzeng Adobe Employee
                              I believe your client doesn't have the admin privilege. They need this privilege on XP to install AIR Runtime.

Here is a similar log when I tried to install AIR Runtime on XP with a Limited account. You can see it is similar to the one you posted:
                              Performing runtime install
                              UI SWF load is complete
                              UI initialized
                              starting user confirmation
                              Installation type: new
                              starting install
                              uninstall scheduled for 1.0.5, 1.0.4
                              Installed Product GUID: is same:false
                              Beginning runtime installation
                              Beginning install
                              Installing c:\docume~1\test\locals~1\temp\air60.tmp\setup.msi
                              Error occurred; beginning rollback: [ErrorEvent type="error" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="1603" errorID=0]
                              Rolling back install of c:\docume~1\test\locals~1\temp\air60.tmp\setup.msi
                              Rollback due to error complete
                              error during install: [ErrorEvent type="error" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="1603" errorID=0]
                              runtime install entering error state: [ErrorEvent type="error" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="1603" errorID=0]
                              begin quitting
                              • 12. Re: .air file donwload says: invalid ZIP archive signature
                                abeall Level 3
                                Well interestingly, they did manage to get the AIR Runtime installed. It's just installing the .air app that doesn't work. The IT was not familiar with AIR and thought the .air package "had nothing to install in it" meaning I think they were looking for executable files. The log file I posted was generated while trying to install the .air app, not the AIR Runtime.

If the user does not have administrative privileges, will it be possible for the .air app to be installed under an administrative user and then be used under the non-admin user on the machine?
                                • 13. Re: .air file donwload says: invalid ZIP archive signature
                                  tzeng Adobe Employee
                                  The log you posted is an AIR Runtime installation log, not an AIR app installation log:

The AIR Runtime install log file is
                                  .airinstall.log
                                  The AIR app install log file is
                                  .airappinstall.log.

>If the user does not have administrative privileges, will it be possible for the .air app to be installed under an administrative user and then be used under the non-admin user on the machine?

Yes.

-ted
                                  • 14. Re: .air file donwload says: invalid ZIP archive signature
                                    abeall Level 3
                                    > The log you posted is an AIR Runtime installation log
                                    > The AIR app install log file is .airappinstall.log.

Argh, I missed that I think. However, the AIR Runtime is installed, and I was definitely directing the user to install the .air app, not the AIR Runtime... but now I'm thinking the user was misunderstanding my directions and trying to install AIR again.

I'll follow up on the .airappinstall.log.