10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2008 9:56 AM by heathrowe

Drawing an ultra thin line

riichieg
      Is it possible to draw an ultra thin line in Fireworks? I even tried doing it in Photoshop and can't figure out what I am missing here. It doesn't make sense!!!!
        • 1. Re: Drawing an ultra thin line
          JoeDaSilva Level 4
          What do you mean ultra thin? You can draw a 1 pixel line. You can't go any thinner as it's not physically possible to display anything less than a pixel.
          • 2. Re: Drawing an ultra thin line
            riichieg Level 1
            Strangely, some lines appear thinner than 1 pixel. I follow what you are saying about being physically unable to draw less than 1 pixel but when I see fine lines such as in this example link, I begin to wonder how the lines are so thin. (or appears thin) Thanks for the response.
            • 3. Re: Drawing an ultra thin line
              Level 7
              Riichieg,

They appear thinner because they have a degree of transparency to them.

alex

riichieg wrote:
              > Strangely, some lines appear thinner than 1 pixel. I follow what you are saying
              > about being physically unable to draw less than 1 pixel but when I see fine
              > lines such as in this example http://www.1hotelsolution.com/, I begin to
              > wonder how the lines are so thin. (or appears thin) Thanks for the response.
              >
              • 4. Re: Drawing an ultra thin line
                JoeDaSilva Level 4
                Yep, as Alex suggests, it's only a trick your eye is playing on you ;-) Do a screen capture on that page, then go to File > New. Now paste into Fireworks and zoom in. Once zoomed in you can get a good look at the trickery!

• 5. Re: Drawing an ultra thin line
                  riichieg Level 1
                  You guys are right. Its an optical illusion in a sense. Those (+) in white between the boxes help throw it off. After zooming, it's clear as day. Definitely a razor sharp effect. Thanks for the time and a great answer.

• 6. Re: Drawing an ultra thin line
                    riichieg Level 1
                    It would be convenient if Adobe offered a line tool capable of gradient levels on the width. That would allow for example, a .50px line with .25 on each side at any alpha level. Does this exist? Do I get a free cs4 master collection for inventing the concept? ;)
                    • 7. Re: Drawing an ultra thin line
                      JoeDaSilva Level 4
                      Unfortunately, there's currently no value less than 1px that can be displayed on a digital screen. I'm sure if you can figure out how to do that it would be worth considerably more than a CS4 Master Collection ;-)

• 8. Re: Drawing an ultra thin line
                        riichieg Level 1
                        Why is it that in Flash, the line selector gives thickness options 0.25 0.50, 0.75, 1 etc... ? Perhaps that is what led me to believe that this is possible. I am not doubting you at all. So much for the free Master Collection! Just curious as to what the Flash function is about and why it isn't implemented into Fireworks, PS...
                        • 9. Re: Drawing an ultra thin line
                          Sharkmenace
                          The line tool in Flash allows thin lines but at 100% zoom the lines are still the same size. It's only when you zoom in that these lines show their relative thicknesses. But the answer about using color and opacity/transparency to create that optical illusion works wonders. I've used it since I read this post and it's really handy.

Thanks all.
                          • 10. Re: Drawing an ultra thin line
                            heathrowe Most Valuable Participant
                            quote:

Originally posted by: riichieg
                            It would be convenient if Adobe offered a line tool capable of gradient levels on the width. That would allow for example, a .50px line with .25 on each side at any alpha level. Does this exist? ;)

Have you tried setting a Gradient Fill/No Stroke properties to a Line Tool object?
                            Adjust you Gradient Fill where you want the Transparencies to be.

Or
                            Add a Gradient Fill/No Stroke properties to a Line Tool object, add a Layer Mask, then Paint with Black (or Shades of Gray) for full tranparency or levels of transparency.

h