3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2008 6:22 AM by Newsgroup_User

How to import XML code into Director 11

SoulJedi

Hello. I'm creating a reading program that highlights the text as it is being read to the viewers. Another developer said that he has done something very similar by importing the XML code. He stated that it was not easy to do...but didn't go into details. Could anyone here give me further insight?

Thanks!!

SoulJedi!!!
        • 1. Re: How to import XML code into Director 11
          Level 7
          XML is not code, it is a markup language. It is used to share structured
          data between different systems. From the brief description of your
          project, it seem unlikely that XML would be of any use to you.

That said, Director is well suited by itself to synchronize graphic
          displays (such as highlighted text) to audio.

SoulJedi wrote:
          >
          >
          > Hello. I'm creating a reading program that highlights the text as
          it is being
          > read to the viewers. Another developer said that he has done
          something very
          > similar by importing the XML code. He stated that it was not easy to
          do...but
          > didn't go into details. Could anyone here give me further insight?
          >
          > Thanks!!
          >
          > SoulJedi!!!
          >
          • 2. Re: How to import XML code into Director 11
            SoulJedi Level 1
            Hey, Dave.

Thanks for the XML review! I typed "code" because I was being lazy.
            The reason I stated XML was because another developer made it work for him and I was asking if anyone else had the same success to do so, but if there's a more efficient way to solve this, let me know.

A general gist of my project: I want to use Director to display text that's being highlighted while it's being read aloud to the viewers. After a section of text is being read, a video documentary clip follows giving the readers the in-depth summary of what was just read.

I would like to find more specific information on how to synch displays to audio.

Thx!
            • 3. Re: How to import XML code into Director 11
              Level 7
              The most straightforward way is to simply make a list of the times that
              the various words appear in the audio, then compare the current time of
              the playing audio member to that list and highlight the appropriate word.

The list would just have the word number and the time that it is
              displayed (and if you want, the time that the highlighting should stop).
              The list could look something like this:

[#word1:[#start:0,#end:150],#word2:[#start:180,#end:250],#word3:[#start:280,#end:350]]

This can all be done using the default commands that come with Director,
              but it can be made easier with some xtras. The MpegAdvanced xtra, for
              example, makes cuepoints very easy to create and work with.