8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2008 10:31 AM by pixlor

FW 8... no pages?

bpark7373
      I'm bit confused... Does fireworks 8 not have the ability to make multiple pages in one PNG file? ...like CS3 does?

If not then how do I create "pages"? ...i.e... "home page", "product page", "about page"....etc.

Am I missing something here?
      any help would be appreciated...
        • 1. Re: FW 8... no pages?
          Level 7
          FWs 8 does not have the 'pages' facility. That was introduced with CS3 I
          think, and is intended to produce an example of what a working website could
          look like. It was never intended to be used to create a fully functional
          website. To do that you should be importing graphics created with FWs or
          another graphics programme into Dreamweaver or any HTML editor.

Peter
          | pages in one PNG file? ...like CS3 does?
          |
          | If not then how do I create "pages"? ...i.e... "home page", "product
          page",
          | "about page"....etc.
          |
          | Am I missing something here?
          | any help would be appreciated...
          |
          |

• 2. Re: FW 8... no pages?
            Joyce J. Evans Erb
            If the purpose is to show a client a comp, then build the other pages in the "Frames" panel and export Frames to Pages.

Joyce J. Evans Erb
            http://www.JoyceJEvans.com
            http://www.Tutorials2Go.com

Web Page in a Day! CD training now available at http://www.joycejevans.com

• 3. Re: FW 8... no pages?
              bpark7373 Level 1
              my purpose is not to show a "client a comp"... my purpose is to create fully functional website with FW8
              and dish it off to my coder who will do the back end coding. So it sounds like this is really not possible if so
              then what is the purpose of FW?

would creating multiple png files as "pages" then be a alternative?

• 4. Re: FW 8... no pages?
                Level 7
                my purpose is not to show a "client a comp"... my purpose is to create fully
                functional website with FW8
                and dish it off to my coder who will do the back end coding. So it sounds like
                this is really not possible if so

• 5. Re: FW 8... no pages?
                  pixlor Level 4
                  quote:

Originally posted by: bpark7373
                  my purpose is not to show a "client a comp"... my purpose is to create fully functional website with FW8
                  and dish it off to my coder who will do the back end coding. So it sounds like this is really not possible if so

Fireworks is a Web graphics application. You use it to create a design, then you make slices of the sections of the design that need to be images and export them. Then, you use Dreamweaver or another program to build the site's HTML and CSS.

If you slice your design, Fireworks will export an HTML table that recreates your layout somewhat like a puzzle, but it is incredibly fragile and not good enough for a production site.
                  • 6. Re: FW 8... no pages?
                    bpark7373 Level 1
                    quote:

Originally posted by: pixlor
                    quote:

Fireworks is a Web graphics application. You use it to create a design, then you make slices of the sections of the design that need to be images and export them. Then, you use Dreamweaver or another program to build the site's HTML and CSS.

If you slice your design, Fireworks will export an HTML table that recreates your layout somewhat like a puzzle, but it is incredibly fragile and not good enough for a production site.

Pixlor thanks for the reply. So what would you suggest?

I'm designing the look and basic functionality of the website and then my coder is putting it together and coding
                    the back end stuff. Knowing this, how would you recommend I go about doing this that would be smart considering that I would prefer to only use FW and let my developer use whatever program(s) to piece it all together.

the website will have many "pages"...would you recommend that after I slice "page specific" pieces that I delete it from the canvas and add the next "page specific elements" and then slice again... and repeat this over and over again until I've covered all of my necessary pages? Or would you recommend that I import graphics into a new PNG for each "page"?

thank you
                    • 7. Re: FW 8... no pages?
                      Level 7
                      > my purpose is not to show a "client a comp"... my purpose is to create
                      > fully
                      > functional website with FW8

Very bad idea. The HTML that is written by FW8 is beyond fragile. As the
                      shape of the contents on any given pages changes (for example, when a
                      visitor resizes the text display in the browser), the page will break apart
                      due to the way that the tables have been built.

> then what is the purpose of FW?

To create the graphics that you then use when you build the pages in DW.

--
                      Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                      Adobe Community Expert
                      (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                      ==================
                      http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                      http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                      ==================

"bpark7373" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                      news:gj1a3l$scu$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > my purpose is not to show a "client a comp"... my purpose is to create
                      > fully
                      > functional website with FW8
                      > and dish it off to my coder who will do the back end coding. So it sounds
                      > like
                      > this is really not possible if so
                      > then what is the purpose of FW?
                      >
                      > would creating multiple png files as "pages" then be a alternative?
                      >
                      >
                      >

• 8. Re: FW 8... no pages?
                        pixlor Level 4
                        quote:

Pixlor thanks for the reply. So what would you suggest?

I'm designing the look and basic functionality of the website and then my coder is putting it together and coding
                        the back end stuff. Knowing this, how would you recommend I go about doing this that would be smart considering that I would prefer to only use FW and let my developer use whatever program(s) to piece it all together.

the website will have many "pages"...would you recommend that after I slice "page specific" pieces that I delete it from the canvas and add the next "page specific elements" and then slice again... and repeat this over and over again until I've covered all of my necessary pages? Or would you recommend that I import graphics into a new PNG for each "page"?

thank you

You know, maybe the best thing would be to talk to your coder about a good team workflow?

If your coder has Dreamweaver, what you can do is hand over the full .png for each file (as a design guide) as well as the exported images - for the places in the design where only an image will do. Then, your coder can build your design in Dreamweaver or other program. Usually, a site will have a consistent look from one page to another. In that case, your coder really needs one design set for each different page style and then the relevant content for each different page.

If you want to have rollovers, you can do those in FW...but export both images for your coder. It's useful to name them appropriately, products.gif and products-ov.gif, for example. The content can be supplied as Word docs, which will allow you to indicate headings, bold, and italic where you need it. The best person to ask, however, is your coder.

While I understand you want to stay in FW, FW is not a site development tool. You can make comps, but not sites. Even if you don't build the final HTML yourself, you need to know how so that you understand what can and can't be done (where your design may have elements that cannot be faithfully represented) and so that you can communicate efficiently with your coder.