22 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2009 10:45 PM by kr8tivlogic

CS4 crashes

Stuart Haiz Level 1
      I installed the Fireworks CS4 beta on my Intel iMac running OSX 10.5.5 & it crashed every time I tried to edit a text field. I hope this has been fixed as I'm considering upgrading from the CS3 Design Suite to the CS4 Web Suite.

What's the verdict please?
        • 1. Re: CS4 crashes
          Sarthak Singhal Adobe Employee
          I have the release version of Fireworks CS4 and I donot see any crashes. Please go ahead with your considerations of buying the Web suite safely.
          • 2. Re: CS4 crashes
            Stuart Haiz Level 1
            Thanks Sarthak - did you try the beta & what OS are you running this on?
            • 3. Re: CS4 crashes
              I tried the Beta as well. I have installed Fireworks on Win XP SP3, Tiger and Leopard platforms.
              • 4. Re: CS4 crashes
                Stuart Haiz Level 1
                Thanks Sarthak.
                • 5. Re: CS4 crashes
                  grapixeye Level 1
                  I just install the Creative Design Suite Premium CS4 on a MacPro and cannot even get Fireworks to launch. It crashes every time. I've uninstalled and re=installed several times and no luck. Seems useless at this time. I'm sure Adobe is tired of getting my "crash reports" by now. (smiles)
                  • 6. Re: CS4 crashes
                    Stuart Haiz Level 1
                    I bought the upgrade from the Design Premium CS3 to Web Premium CS4 just for Fireworks really. It all works just fine!

However, the installation process was NOT smooth. Loaded first disc, installer started, put in new serial & very soon after the process began I got an Installation Error telling me Photoshop, Illustrator & Flash hadn't installed & did I want to carry on. (I chose Quit.) This was apparently due to the Winsoft Linguistics plugin.

I restarted the process & it told me these programs HAD in fact been installed. Installation completed & I restarted the machine.

Photoshop opened OK, Illustrator & Flash both crashed when I opened them but they have mostly been OK since. (2 crashes on Illu & 1 on Soundbooth.) Acrobat needed my authorisation password.

Maybe Adobe can award prizes to users with the most crash reports submitted! (None of my Apple apps crash by the way, including Logic or Final Cut.)

• 7. Re: CS4 crashes
                      heathrowe Most Valuable Participant
                      quote:

Originally posted by: Siriunson
                      I bought the upgrade from the Design Premium CS3 to Web Premium CS4 just for Fireworks really. It all works just fine!

I don't have an answer to your installation woes, but if you 'just wanted' Fw, you could have stuck with the CS3 > CS4 Design Premium as it now includes Fw CS4. Also the cross-grade put's your Indesign CS3 (Creative Suite CS3 component) in limbo, I believe.

h

• 8. Re: CS4 crashes
                        Stuart Haiz Level 1
                        Yes - I knew that was an option. Thing is, I've got plenty of clients who use Contribute & thought it was time to get that too, just so I could advise them on managing their site updates. Whilst FW was my main interest I decided to go over to the web suite for this upgrade. I went from CS1 > CS3 & manged quite happily with ID between versions. It's likely to be the same story again. Let's see how my workflow develops & if I consider CS5 or wait to skip a version or 2!

BTW - stopped using Version Cue during CS1 days due to irregular issues like filename duplicates. Hope this has been fixed too!
                        • 9. Re: CS4 crashes
                          heathrowe Most Valuable Participant
                          Ah - gotcha, and good thinking.

h
                          • 10. Re: CS4 crashes
                            mebadger Level 1
                            I've averaged 3-4 crashes a day (that I've reported) - So what is the prize for the most reported crashes using the released version 10.0.0.495 - It is getting beyond frustrating. I've been a big fan/user of Adobe products for over 15 years, and this is the worst I've seen. I don't normally like to post negative comments about products, but Adobe clearly released this software too soon.
                            • 11. Re: CS4 crashes
                              Randy Hobart Level 1
                              I installed CS4 on Intel Mac running Tiger, and Fireworks will crash before it can open.

Randy
                              • 12. Re: CS4 crashes
                                kadavila Level 1
                                I have not gotten FW CS4 to launch once. It crashes everytime I try to open it. I've trashed prefs, uninstalled and reinstalled several times. I'm losing productivity here... >:-(
                                • 13. Re: CS4 crashes
                                  Can you guys post the Mac crash report which are being generated?

Thanks

• 14. CS4 crashes
                                    Txuma Campos Level 1
                                    My Fireworks crash too :(

I work fine for a time, but sometimes it's crashes.
                                    I'm on Leopard, with the system intalled the last week, so, with a very clean computer :)

Where do you want we send the crash report? Here?
                                    • 15. Re: CS4 crashes
                                      AusterRon Level 1
                                      quote:

Originally posted by: kadavila
                                      I have not gotten FW CS4 to launch once. It crashes everytime I try to open it. I've trashed prefs, uninstalled and reinstalled several times. I'm losing productivity here... >:-(

My problem:
                                      CS4 upgrade from CS3.3 installs and confirms all programs are installed correctly.
                                      All work OK except Fireworks CS4 which starts to load Splash screen shows what is being initialized and gets as far as Tools and fails. Error message 'Could not launch Fireworks. An internal error occurred'.
                                      Uninstalled and reinstalled with firewall off. Same problem.
                                      Ran Adobe Support Advisor and no errors reported.
                                      Tried running from the .exe file no change.

Adobe support advised the removal of the 'Preference' folder as a start but that has not worked.

In the instructions they gave me which are comprehensive, was to check graphic's card drivers. This rings a bell as I had a problem a few years ago with an identical failure to load and that was resolved with an update.
                                      Have installed what I think is the latest drivers but it has not worked and I am waiting a reply from Matrox.

From Support:
                                      The behaviour you are describing indicates that your preference folder
                                      might have become corrupt or damaged in some way.
                                      To re-create the Fireworks CS4 preferences folder, please refer to step
                                      4 (Re-create the Fireworks preferences folder) from the following
                                      knowledge base document:
                                      http://www.adobe.com/go/kb405612
                                      If the problem recurs after you re-create the Fireworks preferences
                                      folder, the problem isn't related to the preferences folder. To restore
                                      custom settings, drag the file you moved in step 2 back to its original
                                      location, and then click Yes to replace the new preferences folder.
                                      If this does not resolve you issue, continue with steps: 5, 7, and 8 of
                                      the same online document.

Hope this helps as I never did resolve the problems with Illustrator in CS3 and failed to run it on my desktop.

• 16. CS4 crashes
                                        AusterRon Level 1
                                        Some how posted twice.
                                        • 17. CS4 crashes
                                          Upload the crash reports to some file hosting file rapidshare.com and then post the download link here. Embedding the crash report here in a post might will make it too big.

Goto www.rapidshare.com . is a free file sharing website.
                                          Post the crash log there.
                                          Once the crash log is uploaded a link will be generated and given to you.
                                          Post the link here so that everyone can look at the crash log.
                                          • 18. Re: CS4 crashes
                                            AusterRon Level 1
                                            quote:

Originally posted by: Sarthak Singhal
                                            Upload the crash reports to some file hosting file rapidshare.com and then post the download link here. Embedding the crash report here in a post might will make it too big.

Not sure what you mean?

Does anyone know what the Fireworks CS4 special requirements for a video card are?

And what cards are incompatible?

• 19. Re: CS4 crashes
                                              dlaitila Level 1
                                              Mine crashes too on my Mac running Tiger. It is fine on my MacBook however running Tiger. It works fine until I do anything with the text tool in a larger area for body text.

I've repaired permissions and that didn't help.
                                              • 20. Re: CS4 crashes
                                                Pawel Wodkowski Level 1
                                                My Fireworks CS4 for Mac also crashes, now it is several times per hour!! It has to do something with text editing or applying color to text.

I posted crash report from latest occurence here: http://true.pl/report.txt

IMHO there should be automatic save in Fireworks ;-) ;-)

Please please Adobe help us!

Pawel
                                                • 21. Re: CS4 crashes
                                                  kr8tivlogic Level 1

I'm running Fireworks CS4 (10.0.3.011) on XP and it crashes every 10 minutes. I get "not enough memory" and "Internal Error" messages. At this point, I can reproduce the problem by selecting the 7th state of the 28th page of the document. Does Fireworks have a file size limit? The current file size is 2.1 MB. The document contains a number of UI symbols, but non are customized. I though Fireworks was suppose to be industrial strength. I've been very disappointed. Lot's of great tool ideas, but poor programming execution. These crash are preventing me for meeting my deadline. That's very fustrating!

• 22. Re: CS4 crashes
                                                    kr8tivlogic Level 1

Sharthak, I've done the upgrade but it hasn't helped. Fireworks is still crashing. I can send you a file inwhich I can reproduce the crash everytime. For copyright purposes, I'd rather not post to community. Can I send it to you via another means?