15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2008 5:54 PM by bbuie1

Arabic in Flash CS4

bbuie1
      Ok - I'm running into the same barriers in Flash CS4 with not being able to work with Arabic as I have in the past. I thought this time there was going to be a solution? PLEASE let me know if there is something that I need to do to get Flash to cooperate with Arabic text. Having it appear backwards but then render correctly in run time will not do. It reeks havoc when working with the layout.

Please help. Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Arabic in Flash CS4
          Damon Edwards Level 3
          i believe they are releasing the new text components shortly.
          • 2. Re: Arabic in Flash CS4
            Rothrock Level 5
            Yeah I had heard that there was improved support for complex languages. I would be interested in keeping up with any developments in that direction.
            • 3. Re: Arabic in Flash CS4
              bbuie1 Level 1
              Do you know any specifics on it? From the help files, it seems primarily xml driven - but I hope it does not stop there. CS4 lets you bring Arabic into flash as dynamic text and actually view it in the in the fla correctly but it still breaks apart and cuts words off like crazy - so basically unless you are doing one-liners, it's useless. I've got a presentation in Dubai next week and was really hoping this would be fixed. If anyone has any brilliant ideas or if I'm overlooking something, please let me know.
              • 4. Re: Arabic in Flash CS4
                BWolfe [ADOBE] Level 3
                The support is in the player, but the tools to work with that support aren't finished yet. Not sure when that's going to happen.
                • 5. Re: Arabic in Flash CS4
                  Rothrock Level 5
                  Thanks for the info. Please do post back if (and when) you can tell us more.
                  • 6. Re: Arabic in Flash CS4
                    Damon Edwards Level 3
                    I think all the low level apis are accessible, ie, all the classes. It's just the components haven't been released yet. So, you can still work with the classes, there just isn't a component yet to make it super super super simple. --Only what I've read
                    • 7. Re: Arabic in Flash CS4
                      Rothrock Level 5
                      dzedward -- I haven't upgraded yet so I haven't had a chance to play with it yet. From the OP I can't tell if they are just trying to use a basic textfield or one of the existing components.

And from Bently Wolfe's response I can't tell if he means basic authoring tools or components, or a bit of both.
                      • 8. Arabic in Flash CS4
                        Damon Edwards Level 3
                        I have the new suite, and I see all the new Text classes:
                        quote:

TextBaseline
                        TextBlock
                        TextElement
                        TextJustifier
                        TextLine
                        TextLineCreationResult
                        TextLineMirrorRegion
                        TextLineValidity
                        TextRenderer
                        TextRotation
                        TextSnapshot

I've read on a few of the evangelists' blogs that the components that utilize the new classes are to be released very soon, but for now, you can use the classes, it'll just be more difficult ;) So, that's what I got out of everything.
                        • 9. Re: Arabic in Flash CS4
                          bbuie1 Level 1
                          Thanks for the responses. Would someone please post to this once they do release the new components, it would be much appreciated. Unfortunately the text classes that are in there now are pretty much worthless. Flash just doesn't know what to do with the language, since its characters are written in cursive script, yet broken within the words themselves. For instance, imagine MS Word breaking your words in half at the end of a line with no hyphen or word-wrap and then not really letting you correct it. Even if Flash let you cut and paste correctly from something like MS Word, that would be a big help.
                          • 11. Re: Arabic in Flash CS4
                            Rothrock Level 5
                            Thanks dzedward.

I tried downloading it, but there was no mxp file in the zip file to install. Anybody else using CS4 on a Mac got this to work?

• 12. Re: Arabic in Flash CS4
                              Damon Edwards Level 3
                              Looks like they aren't official yet, only beta I'm guessing since on Labs. You can find the component in the library and all script in the actions layer, but I'm sure you already saw that :)
                              • 13. Re: Arabic in Flash CS4
                                bbuie1 Level 1
                                Don't know if they just haven't posted it for the Mac or not but I was able to get the component for the PC... and it works GREAT! Thank you Adobe!!!
                                • 14. Re: Arabic in Flash CS4
                                  Rothrock Level 5
                                  bbuie1 -- I was able to get the component and it worked pretty sweet. But have you tried embedding the fonts. That is a really important part of this that seems to not be working.

The language I'm working with is Hindi and I can't get the hindi fonts to embed. I know if the package there is included some Adobe arabic fonts so you might be having better luck....
                                  • 15. Re: Arabic in Flash CS4
                                    bbuie1 Level 1
                                    Rothrock - I briefly played with the component but it did what I needed... I will be using the component more in a few days so I hope it keeps preforming as it did. Please let me know what you find regarding the Hindi. I have some Hindi translations coming soon so your experience with it has me a bit worried.