15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2008 2:11 PM by Newsgroup_User

MenuBar Transitions...

rfkrocktk Level 1
      I need to make my MenuBar fade its items in rather than scale them in. How do I go about doing this? I've looked into the showEffect and hideEffect tags,but they're not doing much.
        • 1. )Re: MenuBar Transitions...
          Level 7

"rfkrocktk" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gdt0lg$8fg$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I need to make my MenuBar fade its items in rather than scale them in. How
          >do I go about doing this? I've looked into the showEffect and hideEffect
          >tags,but they're not doing much.

Try setting the blendMode on the MenuBar (or itemRenderer if you control
          that) to "layer"

HTH;

Amy

• 2. Re: MenuBar Transitions...
            rfkrocktk Level 1
            I'll try that, but why would the blendMode affect the transitions? I thought I might be able to change it in CSS:

Menu {
            showEffect: "Fade";
            }

But nothing is happening.
            • 3. Re: MenuBar Transitions...
              Level 7

news:gdt6so$gnq$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > I'll try that, but why would the blendMode affect the transitions? I
              > thought I might be able to change it in CSS:
              >
              > Menu {
              > showEffect: "Fade";
              > }
              >
              > But nothing is happening.

Because if you don't want to embed the font, you need to set the blendMode
              on your text to "layer." I assume that what's not fading is the text...

• 4. Re: MenuBar Transitions...
                rfkrocktk Level 1
                I understand the embedding of fonts thing. I need to change the actual transition, though. I can't change the transition from the scaling thing it does by default to simply fading the menu in. How do I do that?
                • 5. Re: MenuBar Transitions...
                  Level 7

news:gdti79$1q7$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  >I understand the embedding of fonts thing. I need to change the actual
                  > transition, though. I can't change the transition from the scaling thing
                  > it
                  > does by default to simply fading the menu in. How do I do that?

There's probably a default transition somewhere. Check the Language
                  Reference for MenuBar and look carefully at what the defaults are.

HTH;

Amy

• 6. Re: MenuBar Transitions...
                    rfkrocktk Level 1
                    Yeah, I've been scouring the livedocs for a long time and haven't been able to figure it out. I have looked under Menu, MenuBarItem, and MenuBar in all of the properties, styles, and effects and still can't seem to figure this out. Do you know more specifically how I can change this?
                    • 7. Re: MenuBar Transitions...
                      Level 7

news:gdtkjf$4on$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > Yeah, I've been scouring the livedocs for a long time and haven't been
                      > able to
                      > figure it out. I have looked under Menu, MenuBarItem, and MenuBar in all
                      > of the
                      > properties, styles, and effects and still can't seem to figure this out.
                      > Do you
                      > know more specifically how I can change this?
                      >

Remind me tomorrow...I'm sleepy tonight :-)

• 8. Re: MenuBar Transitions...
                        rfkrocktk Level 1
                        Any word on how to make this happen?
                        I'm pretty confused on where I need to change something, and I still have no idea what to change :)

Ah the mysteries of Flex surpass me....
                        • 9. Re: MenuBar Transitions...
                          Level 7

news:ge5dej$oin$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          > Any word on how to make this happen?
                          > I'm pretty confused on where I need to change something, and I still have
                          > no idea what to change :)
                          >
                          > Ah the mysteries of Flex surpass me....

Sorry, I didn't see anything in the docs or the code for MenuBar that talks
                          about that. I don't have time to look through the MenuBarItem code. You
                          could try it with a custom renderer and see if you still get the transition.

• 10. Re: MenuBar Transitions...
                            rfkrocktk Level 1
                            I'm still kind of new to using Flex. I'm an AS3 guy, I've been working on AS3 for a really long time and I thoroughly understand Flash Player's APIs, but I'm new to extending Flex and defining ItemRenderers. Where should I start?

Also, there are a ton of different classes relating to Menu's: there is Menu, MenuBar, MenuItem, and MenuBarItem, not to mention MenuItemRenderer. What do I override, where do I do it, and how?
                            • 11. Re: MenuBar Transitions...
                              Level 7

news:ge7htg$r3m$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                              > I'm still kind of new to using Flex. I'm an AS3 guy, I've been working on
                              > AS3
                              > for a really long time and I thoroughly understand Flash Player's APIs,
                              > but I'm
                              > new to extending Flex and defining ItemRenderers. Where should I start?
                              >
                              > Also, there are a ton of different classes relating to Menu's: there is
                              > Menu,
                              > MenuBar, MenuItem, and MenuBarItem, not to mention MenuItemRenderer. What
                              > do I
                              > override, where do I do it, and how?

It looks like it's complicated with MenuBar. Check out the info on
                              MenuBarItemRenderer:
                              http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/3/langref/index.html?mx/controls/MenuBar.html&mx/controls/c lass-list.html

You might find it time well spent to review the available information on
                              itemRenderers from Q2 here
                              http://www.magnoliamultimedia.com/flex_examples/Amys_Flex_FAQ.pdf

HTH;

Amy

• 12. Re: MenuBar Transitions...
                                rfkrocktk Level 1
                                Turns out that Menu has its own LOCKED opening transition (as per the mx.controls.Menu source file), which is unchangeable except by extreme modification. Well that just sucks :)

In order to change it, you must subclass Menu directly and override the instance method show(). Basically, you should be able to copy most of the code from Menu.show() and just change the line that does the transition. Flex Team, can we please have a fix on this? Can we please make this an effect that can be modifed easily rather than nightmarishly?

• 13. Re: MenuBar Transitions...
                                  Level 7

news:ge7mf9$42r$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                  > Turns out that Menu has its own LOCKED opening transition (as per the
                                  > mx.controls.Menu source file), which is unchangeable except by extreme
                                  > modification. Well that just sucks :)
                                  >
                                  > In order to change it, you must subclass Menu directly and override the
                                  > instance method show(). Basically, you should be able to copy most of the
                                  > code
                                  > from Menu.show() and just change the line that does the transition. Flex
                                  > Team,
                                  > can we please have a fix on this? Can we please make this an effect that
                                  > can be
                                  > modifed easily rather than nightmarishly?

Sorry that turned out to be the answer :-(

• 14. Re: MenuBar Transitions...
                                    Level 7

news:ge7mf9$42r$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                    > Turns out that Menu has its own LOCKED opening transition (as per the
                                    > mx.controls.Menu source file), which is unchangeable except by extreme
                                    > modification. Well that just sucks :)
                                    >
                                    > In order to change it, you must subclass Menu directly and override the
                                    > instance method show(). Basically, you should be able to copy most of the
                                    > code
                                    > from Menu.show() and just change the line that does the transition. Flex
                                    > Team,
                                    > can we please have a fix on this? Can we please make this an effect that
                                    > can be
                                    > modifed easily rather than nightmarishly?

Please file a bug on this:
                                    http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa

• 15. Re: MenuBar Transitions...
                                      rfkrocktk Level 1
                                      I guess the final verdict on this is that you simply cannot change transitions on opening and closing of Menu items from a MenuBar.

In order to do what I was talking about, I would literally have to rewrite my own MenuBar and Menu class. Some of the methods for opening menus from the MenuBar class are private and thus inextensible or overridable. I guess for now I'll just set it so that the menu's do not tween at all. This really is a bummer. The only workaround is to build your own Menu and MenuBar classes...