• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trouble with Page numbers and bleed overlap

New Here ,
Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on children's books and trying to get InDesing to behave is driving me crazy.

My printer wants non facing pages (so file-> document setup and unckeck Facing Pages)

but then all my page numbers default to the left only which is setup in my masterpage (dual page)

If I leave facing pages checked it looks terrible because the bleed overlaps each page as in the screenshot below

To summarize my problem:

If I use Facing Pages (which I would prefer for layout) I get good page numbers and bad bleed overlap and no way to export individual pages for printer.

If I uncheck Facing Pages I can export correctly but the document uses Master Page A's left side only so my page numbers don't mirror correctly. I also can't see the way the book will look as I layout my spreads.

Any Advice? My solution so far is to use a 2nd master page for all right-pages and make due without being able to see my spreads.

What I really want is another check box in document setup that says: View as spread [ ] or even under the view menu. Why Adobe? "View-> As Spread"

This would let me choose it as non-facing pages for print/export but visually look like i'm working on a book instead of the goofy single pages or going back and forth from facing to non-facing to see what it looks like, then to export it.

indesign trouble.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to change back to facing pages. The printer means he wants to have single pages, page by page. In the PDF export dialog export as single pages, not as spreads.

If you have whole page images on one page, select the spread, go to the page panel menu and deselct Allow new Spread Order (or similiar as I use German, it might be translated different). And then double click on the right page icon of that spread in that document and move it a little bit to the right until a black line appears and release the mouse. It will seperate the 2 pages of a spread in 2 separate spreads but as it is correctly with facing pages.

Bildschirmfoto 2017-06-01 um 09.50.38.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here the settings in the Page Panel Menu:
Bildschirmfoto 2017-06-01 um 09.56.24.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the English version it is " Allow Selected Spread to Shuffle" 2017-06-01 01_10_05-_Collection 1.indd @ 75%.png

This is the black line you are talking about?

2017-06-01 01_09_48-_Collection 1.indd @ 75%.png

It allows me to drag it to a new line but still won't let me see my full spreads for design purposes but then print them as separate pages will it?

This is what I get:

2017-06-01 01_13_08-_Collection 1.indd @ 13%.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My printer wants non facing pages (so file-> document setup and unckeck Facing Pages)

I think you have misunderstood your printer. You can work with facing pages and still export a PDF as single pages by choosing Pages, not Spreads, under the General tab.

If you need to export with an interior bleed it is perfectly normal for the bleed to come from the facing page and it would not be necessary to split the pages. For any binding (other than wire-o where the inside edge is trimmed and visible), the pages will be folded and gathered, so the inside bleed will be removed when the signatures are imposed. For folded bindings there would never be a reason to split your pages and manually add a bleed.

Re: Image edges bleeding to next page when exporting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the clarification. I am not positive the binding method they use and as I will be using multiple printers it may change. The style that we've gotten them back in is booklet (simple spreads printed with two staples to hold the 20 page books together. The other printer I'm prepping for is Amazon's createspace.

Do you have more information on the common binding methods. I'm an amature and would love to know more about the process. I've actually made a few of my own blank page journals with a kettle stitch binding.

As for my "problem", because my pictures are sometimes very different, as shown in my original post, it does pose a problem for 2x reasons.

1- If I use facing pages in InDesign then my left page (12 in the example above) has the bleed from page 13 past the crop marks: here is a blank white page left and sky background page right from PDF export (I think I exported as 2up but even single pages have the same bleed issue)

2017-06-01 00_57_15-Collection 1c.pdf - Adobe Acrobat Pro DC.png  2017-06-01 00_55_50-Collection 1c.pdf - Adobe Acrobat Pro DC.png

2 - My other problem is that as I design it, I can't see what the pages will look like when the bleed is cropped off, what is my seam going to look like. In my example below I need to know where the hands and the cart's cord are lining up.

2017-06-01 20_05_03-_Collection 1.indd @ 75%.png

Thanks for the help and advice. Is there still something I'm missing about how files are processed for printing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rasmaster  wrote

The style that we've gotten them back in is booklet (simple spreads printed with two staples to hold the 20 page books together.

That's 'saddle stitched' binding. Unless specified otherwise (for instance if you want very heavy card throughout), that would be the usual way to bind a booklet with only 20 pages.

Set your document as facing pages, set your bleed to every edge apart from the inside, and you have image frames that went into the previous inside bleed, pull those sides back to the page boundary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Do you have more information on the common binding methods. I'm an amature and would love to know more about the process. I've actually made a few of my own blank page journals with a kettle stitch binding.

The only common binding where you would have to be concerned about the content of the inside bleed would be wire-o because the spine edge is trimmed and visible not folded and hidden:

wo.jpg

I can't see what the pages will look like when the bleed is cropped off, what is my seam going to look like. In my example below I need to know where the hands and the cart's cord are lining up.

You don't need to split your crossover images, just place one image across the facing pages.

Read up on imposition. Some printers may request an inside bleed, but it will be removed in the imposition process.

Imposition - Wikipedia

A crossover facing page spread in ID (single image) exported with all bleeds

Screen Shot 2017-06-02 at 8.23.40 AM.png

In AcrobatPro showing facing pages

Screen Shot 2017-06-02 at 8.24.41 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-06-02 at 8.25.08 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines